'fantasies' = feelings??

So there’s this guy ive known for years, we lost contact but recently got in touch. He had a thing for me back then and asked me out but nothing really happened because at the time I only ever saw him as a friend (because of the age). I actually never knew how he felt until recently when we got to talking about the past. We lost touch when I got engaged and moved out of home, when he found out through my brother he sent me a pretty surprising email where he vented and gave me a lecture, so to speak. I never thought much of it and went on with my life and so did he. 4 years later we got back in touch through fb.... when we spoke he told me that he “still holds on to that fantasy from years ago” I know this sounds so dumb but what exactly does that mean? I like him and obviously hearing him say that was music to my ears lol. But I don’t wanna get ahead of myself and think there’s anything more to it.

Do you guys just say that as a line or is there more where that came from? Is it possible that ‘fantasies’ translate/equate to deeper feelings or is it just merely sexual?