"Men are the more attractive sex"

I have been having this conversation with a female friend and she believes from person to person that men are by far the more attractive sex, she points to make up and other cosmetics as proof of this and says that women who wear a lot of make up are doing so to overcompensate for their average appearance.

Do you agree? It seems that female celebrities without make up do not look anywhere near as great as they do with make up and men tend to age a lot better than women.

I found it interesting because I never had this view point before.

As a guy, I can't find beauty in other males. Alot of females I know can find beauty in other females though.. So I'm going with females are the much more attractive sex :p

The makeup thing only applies to the face. Women have better bodies by far.

Like Elaine says in that one Seinfeld episode: "Male bodies are utilitarian. They're for gettin' around; like a Jeep."

Yeah, I have to say women are the fairer sex hands down.

I was under the impression that women wore makeup etc because men by nature are visual creatures.

In other words, women dress nicely, wear makeup etc.. to be noticed.. by men and to compete with other women for the attention of men.

Then again, I suppose being a guy.. I may be biased ;)

• Author

I disagreed with her, but I have to admit, I believe only 2% of women are naturally more attractive than I am. The ones that put on too much make up usually look like the back end of a dog.

I would say both sexes can be physically beautiful, but as was stated earlier it depends upon how closely the individual meets the requirements of an ideal set by the culture. In many societies it is the male who puts on the elaborate display to attract a mate. In western culture there was a time when it was desirable that a man wear makeup, a wig, and flamboyant dress, while women were appreciated for being plump and both demure and coquettish. Personally, I can appreciate the beauty of the male physique, facial handsomeness, and personal charisma, without being sexually attracted. I find this much more difficult with equally attractive females.

Ruby Slippers
Men by far but that would be because I'm only attracted to men. :p

Agreed. A sexy man weakens the knees. :love:

Your friend's POV proves nothing beyond the fact she's a heterosexual female, which I suspect you already knew.

Since 'attractiveness' is subjective and completely dependent on the validation of others, it's impossible to really know for sure. We can crunch numbers and 'guess'.

I only know (and you never really *know*) what women have shared in actions and words in the past, wrt attractiveness. Longevity has proven those words and actions to be situational/transient, so I discount them as being conclusive.

I *think* women are the most attractive sex because I'm a heterosexual male. I can admire beauty in men, and have met some quite beautiful men in my travels, but that's very different than believing that they're more attractive than women. Again, outside validation. YMMV :)

Cracker Jack

Women are the most beautiful creatures in the world.

But of course, that isn't a surprise, considering I'm straight.

Men are much more attractive than women, the lean taller bodies, those muscle's, and IMO men generally have sexier smiles than women

Of course women can be attractive too, but no women can compare to an attractive man :love:

Both sexes are equally attractive, they are just attractive to different people. We all prefer looking at people we find sexually appealing.

The makeup thing doesn't mean anything when it comes to celebs though- men wear it too.

• Author

I find women who cake on make up are generally ugly and I'd say I was miles better looking than they are. I am better looking that 99% of women who are average looking but need make up to improve their appearance. A majority of men do not need make up except actors and whatever.

Nikki Sahagin

I really don't think there is a more attractive sex. Men and women are attractive in COMPLETELY different ways.

No way. Jerry Seinfeld said it best on an episode when he said "Men's bodies are built for use, like a jeep. Women's are like a work of art"

It's damn true too.

No way. Jerry Seinfeld said it best on an episode when he said "Men's bodies are built for use, like a jeep. Women's are like a work of art"

It's damn true too.

You not only repeated me, but butchered it in the process. :D

Jersey Shortie
I find women who cake on make up are generally ugly and I'd say I was miles better looking than they are. I am better looking that 99% of women who are average looking but need make up to improve their appearance. A majority of men do not need make up except actors and whatever.

Post a picture to prove it.

It's not that men don't need make-up. Or that men age better. They don't. These concepts were created in a time when men were looking for dominance over women because men use to run things and of course they would support the attitude of "long live the men". Society doesn't place the same expectation on men in regards to make-up that women have. You're just use to seeing women with make-up that gives you a negative perception of their natural faces.

Well it stands to reason that you'd think that way. You don't like women.

Post a picture to prove it.

It's not that men don't need make-up. Or that men age better. They don't. These concepts were created in a time when men were looking for dominance over women because men use to run things and of course they would support the attitude of "long live the men". Society doesn't place the same expectation on men in regards to make-up that women have. You're just use to seeing women with make-up that gives you a negative perception of their natural faces.

Some men tend to age better as well as some women. A lot of women try so hard to look young that when that fails, they become ugly because they don't care. Men however don't obsess over their appearance as much, so when they get older it's not a big deal and they still act the same.

Women need to stop sabotaging themselves when they get older, like with mom jeans. Seriously, stop it.

• Author
Well it stands to reason that you'd think that way. You don't like women.

I love women, women just don't like me LOL.

Seriously though I have seen women with a lot of make and seen them without it and they are ugly, they look like someone who had been attacked by a dog. :eek: