He claims now ive been lying, also can i sue??

youngsb1

Ill try to make this quick, my boyfriend finally got caught abusing me in November, this was the worst so far I was bruised pretty bad, anyway so hes been going to DV classes but thats it! Trying to change yadda yadda, anyway he recently (about 4 days ago) brings up that I have been dishonest our entire relationship even before the abuse started (excuse??) He claims that whenever he would ask me "What's wrong" I would lie and say "nothing" but Ive tried so hard to explain to him even in the beginning that I have NEVER opened up to anyone, I just need to know am I LYING???? Ive Never felt like I was lying, I just felt to AFRAID to say how i'm feeling.

Also Can I sue him for emotional damages or anything else, hes getting off pretty much scott free!!!! 180 days in jail 180 of those suspended and if he doesn't get in trouble it will be off his record!!

Ill try to make this quick, my boyfriend finally got caught abusing me in November, this was the worst so far I was bruised pretty bad, anyway so hes been going to DV classes but thats it! Trying to change yadda yadda, anyway he recently (about 4 days ago) brings up that I have been dishonest our entire relationship even before the abuse started (excuse??) He claims that whenever he would ask me "What's wrong" I would lie and say "nothing" but Ive tried so hard to explain to him even in the beginning that I have NEVER opened up to anyone, I just need to know am I LYING???? Ive Never felt like I was lying, I just felt to AFRAID to say how i'm feeling.

Also Can I sue him for emotional damages or anything else, hes getting off pretty much scott free!!!! 180 days in jail 180 of those suspended and if he doesn't get in trouble it will be off his record!!

I am a paralegal at a firm that specializes in family law, and based on what you've said, I doubt you have a case.

Being a jerk isn't against the law. Neither is saying things that hurt someone's feelings. In most jurisdictions, it is quite difficult to sue for something as intangible as emotional distress.

Emotional distress is an intentional tort, which means the defendant has to have had a conscious plan to cause you emotional damage. To get a judgement, you'd probably need to prove real damages and that the defendant acted in a way shocking to the moral conscience of a reasonable person.

For example, if the defendant called the plaintiff up and said his or her child had been murdered, and if that news cased the plaintiff to have a heart attack, THAT would be a strong case.