Loving, but Unloved?

I've been friends with a man for 3 years now. He knows that I am attracted to him, and, he has said that he is attracted to me, as well. However, things aren't going anywhere. I sent him this message last week.

"On a side note. ****, you've seemed really happy lately, it's given me a case of the smiles- so, keep doing whatever you're doing. I love you, and it's really good to hear you laughing."

He never responded to my email. But the next time I saw him, he seemed happy and engaged with me.

However, he still hasn't responded to my email.

I sent him a second one after I saw him, and he seemed happy (1 week after the first). The second one said

I meant every word of it :)

But he hasn't responded to this either.

I wouldn't really know how to best respond to either of these emails myself. And, perhaps no response really is the best response.

But it's confusing.

Do you think these are appropriate emails to send to a friend that you share some attraction with (minus the romantic relationship)?

Do you think it is appropriate to not respond to these emails?

He is still engaged with me, but we have yet to discuss our status. Do you think I should just chill?

How would you respond if you received my emails????

I've been friends with a man for 3 years now. He knows that I am attracted to him, and, he has said that he is attracted to me, as well. However, things aren't going anywhere. I sent him this message last week.

"On a side note. ****, you've seemed really happy lately, it's given me a case of the smiles- so, keep doing whatever you're doing. I love you, and it's really good to hear you laughing."

He never responded to my email. But the next time I saw him, he seemed happy and engaged with me.

However, he still hasn't responded to my email.

I sent him a second one after I saw him, and he seemed happy (1 week after the first). The second one said

I meant every word of it :)

But he hasn't responded to this either.

I wouldn't really know how to best respond to either of these emails myself. And, perhaps no response really is the best response.

But it's confusing.

Do you think these are appropriate emails to send to a friend that you share some attraction with (minus the romantic relationship)?

Do you think it is appropriate to not respond to these emails?

He is still engaged with me, but we have yet to discuss our status. Do you think I should just chill?

How would you respond if you received my emails????

I don't really get a clear sense of the nature of your relationship with him - what does 'he is still engaged with me' actually mean?

My immediate reaction is that unless the guy is overly shy and timid, he would have made a move by now if he really was interested, given that he knows you are attracted to him (kissed you/ seduced you/ explicitly addressed your relationship status or wanting to be your bf through conversation). If he isn't interested and doesn't want to encourage your interest in him, then he might prefer not to respond to your emails (personally I prefer to be explicit with people and that people are explicit with me in situations of unaddressed but mismatching expectations, but that's my personal preference).

If things aren't going anywhere, as you say, maybe it's time to look for something else?....