how do we become more than friends??

I have this guy friend for 7 years. I am currently single and he is too. I would like to be more than friends with him but I get mixed messages. We were texting each other for some time but then he stopped. He has told me he enjoys my company and has shown positive signs but then he doesn't take any steps. He is extremely busy at work and he knows that it hasn't been too long since I got split with my ex. I also know that it has only been a few months since he got split with his ex. So, what should I do? Tell him my feeling about him or just give him some time to figure it out? I just don't know what a female is supposed to do in this case. I am afraid that as a female if I make the first step and tell him that I want to be more than friends with him he will freak out. Any guys or girls out there with some advice??

Well, first off, if he is busy, maybe he simply hasn't found the time to think more about what he feels for you. I don't think you should be worried about making the first step - nowadays I don't see a problem with that, but that depends on your background and experience. If you think that he could have a problem with you being more active, the real question is: do you mind that he is "old fashioned" or would you actually prefer it if he took action first? if you'd like him to take the first step, you may have to drop a few hints, men can easily overlook things :)

...but in any case you need to be aware of what it means for both of you if you tell him the truth. maybe don't just bring it up in conversation, but try gradually to spend more time with him, talk alot! that's important. then there should be many opportunities for you to maybe show him that you're interested in more.