The Older I Get the More I Black Out...

When I was younger I could drink myself into an absolute stupor... and still remember everything (weather I wanted to or not) the next day.

Now though... I find myself blacking out a lot more, and sometimes after not even drinking that much.

Last night I was on my way to the store to get milk and coffee... and I got about half way there and my sister called me. She wanted to meet up for a drink. My sister and I do this a lot... it's a pretty regular thing. So, I figure I'll just go to the store afterwards.

Sitting at the bar with my sister I drank two beers and then she convinced me to try a Mojito. I normally don't do mix drinks except the occasional bloody Mary. And (sorry ladies, but) a Mojito is a girly drink. But my sister kept bugging me, telling me I have to try a Mojito. She referred to it as an "orgasm in a glass." I got up to go to the bathroom and I came back and she ordered me one while I was gone.

So, I drank the damn Mojito, and don't remember much after.

I went out in the kitchen and checked... There's milk and coffee out there, so I must have went to the store. I looked in the driveway, my truck is out there. So I must have driven myself home.

I hate this feeling. I really do. I hate not knowing what I did last night after that one drink. And I hate even more that I drove myself home in that condition. I've always been really good about not drinking and driving.

And... I don't know for sure, but I think I might have tried to kiss my friend's girlfriend last night after I got home. I hope not, I hope I was just dreaming that. Not that I wouldn't want to kiss her. But that's a different thread altogether.

But I guess the good thing is that I think I know partly what causes it. This happened to me a few weeks ago after doing a few shots of Rum at my friend's house. And what does a Mojito have in it? Rum. So, at least now I know that I'm more likely to black out if I drink Rum.

But my question to all reading this is... Is this also an age thing? Does anyone else find this happening more and more as you get older? And on nights when I black out I'm always so depressed the next day... and I have trouble sleeping too. Here I am up at almost 4am because I can't sleep.

• Author
That's a message. Stop drinking. Just smoke some weed instead.

Oh believe me... if I could, I would. I can't because of work. I would take weed over alcohol any day.

Oh believe me... if I could, I would. I can't because of work. I would take weed over alcohol any day.

I'm no doctor, but I've heard that blacking out is serious business. You better have yourself checked out

• Author
I'm no doctor, but I've heard that blacking out is serious business. You better have yourself checked out

Yea... I probably should. I have excellent medical benefits where I work, might as well use them.

It's one thing to black out after twelve shots of Tequila. It's another thing to black out after two beers and one Mojito.

Lol... you know how embarrassing it is for me to say I blacked out after a Mojito... :)

I certainly can't prove this, but it is my observation that those who have drank heavily at some point in their lives process alcohol differently for the rest of their lives.

I've seen this in alcoholics and non-alcoholics alike, simply those who drank heavily at some point, including myself, a non-alcoholic, but was on my way to becoming one at one point.

If I was you, I would definitely stick to wine and beer and forgo liquor.

And yes, I too see this happening to older people, although I don't remember discussing blacking out much as a 20 something as much as I do now with older drinkers, "older" meaning 40+.

• Author
I certainly can't prove this, but it is my observation that those who have drank heavily at some point in their lives process alcohol differently for the rest of their lives.

I've seen this in alcoholics and non-alcoholics alike, simply those who drank heavily at some point, including myself, a non-alcoholic, but was on my way to becoming one at one point.

If I was you, I would definitely stick to wine and beer and forgo liquor.

And yes, I too see this happening to older people, although I don't remember discussing blacking out much as a 20 something as much as I do now with older drinkers, "older" meaning 40+.

I haven't hit 40+ yet. I'm in my early 30s.

But I did drink really heavy in my early to mid twenties. I mean... it was bad. I was a binge drinker.

Your body does eventually change from drinking. Blackouts are definitely a sign to take it easy man. Eventually alcohol can become a severe physical addiction, infact, its one of the few drugs that the withdrawals from CAN actually kill you. Take it easy and pay attention to your body. Good luck

I haven't smoked since January... smoking isn't the issue.

Great news! Now how about the medical attention and proper support to resolve your black outs. I'm sure you are smart enough to know that blackouts enduced thru alcohol are an indicator of a serious problem. Seek medical treatment.