Quick ? about an IQ

Howdy Everyone Quick question If anyone can answer it for be it would be great....

i have a friend thats has a IQ of 180 but someone told me he may be smart but he lacks social skillsand common sense exactly what does that mean? :bunny::bunny:

:o

It means that even though you can comprehend and use advanced intellectual concepts, you may still be unwise in the ways of human interaction, which requires a different sort of understanding.

A very common trait among many extraordinarilly intelligent people is a lack of common sense and social skills. I guess you can't have everything.

I have found (now don't get offended people) That people who have very high educational levels seem not to have common sence. A friends uncle would brag that he's got his BA in this and his Masters in that ..... he couldn't even read a road map. Simple things in life usually don't have manuals or reference books. Some people spend years and years studing and educating themselves and they really haven't had a chance to live life. Some people learn by books and others learn from experience. Experience doesn't come with manuals.

Some people with higher IQs may lack social graces because their intelligence sets them apart and makes it less likely that they will fit in the crowd. Kids who are in the profoundly gifted range (which is where a 180 IQ falls) tend not to have a lot in common with their peers. Over time, this can evidence itself as a lack of social skills. On the other hand, some highly gifted people are profoundly empathetic and related very well to others.

With regard to people with high IQs lacking common sense, there is no data to support this. Nor is there any basis for the belief that highly educated people lack common sense; this is a notion that is particularly popular among those lacking formal education. The likely reason we notice when smart people are lacking common sense is because of the contrast in mastery of these two skill sets. A not-so-intelligent person who also lacks common sense tends to go unnoticed because we don't expect as much from him (or her).

I believe that the higher a person's iq, the more alienated they become from the average people. We, as humans, are not comfortable interacting with those having a significant difference in intelligence. This is why we do not hang out with the animals. We are smarter.

Geez, cdn! Why spoil a perfectly good broad (and therefore fallacious) generalization for folks? :laugh:

Oh, I dunno. Partly because it's one of those generalizations I am truly weary of. And partly because I see all around me the results of a culture that places less and less emphasis on knowledge and reasoned thinking and more and more on opinion and conclusions borne of a simply feeling a certain way. It's insidious and, I believe, damaging.

I am unaware of any studies showing a negative correlation between "common sense" (however operationally defined) or "social skills"(again, however defined) and extreme intelligence (as measured by IQ tests)..

If anything, my experience, which is impressionistic, is that the brighter the individual, the greater the social skills and common sense. I would more likely expect people with low-normal intelligence to lack social skills. Our prisons and jails, for example, are not filled with MENSA members. Criminal behavior, by definition, could be a barometer of questionable social skills and, perhaps, lack of common sense.

Very smart people, contrary to social myth, have ample social skills and common sense.

I wonder if this myth doesn't reflect a degree of resentment towards the very, very bright. Their nerdification.

Back during the last presidential election a lot of the pundits claimed that Gore lost (if he really did lose) because he was too smart...Bush seemed like he'd be much more fun in a bar on Saturday night and a lot of people voted for him on that basis. I think the America people should get a little more credit than that, but there is definitely a strong anti-intellectual streak in American culture these days. 40-50 years ago it was considered a good thing to be smart and educated.

Yep. It's a pretty sick society that reveres the physically superior but despises the intellectually gifted.

Good point, quickmorph. In fact, I remember a book by the historian, Richard Hofstader (sp.?) , entitled "Anti-Intellectualism in American Politics". I think that's the title.

Clinton was uber-smart and had great people skills. Some would argue that his social skills were too effective. :)

• Author
:o I know he is really smart he graduated when he was 16 from high school and and got his associate degree when he was 19 from college i dont remember in what though been too long..but his IQ was high back then also.hes now in his 30s :cool::bunny:
Originally posted by jester

Good point, quickmorph. In fact, I remember a book by the historian, Richard Hofstader (sp.?) , entitled "Anti-Intellectualism in American Politics". I think that's the title.

Clinton was uber-smart and had great people skills. Some would argue that his social skills were too effective. :)

Yup. I used to think that the only way Bush could get a little head in the Oval office was by calling Ari in. But then Ari lost the job, so our poor boy is out of luck.

180 is really high, considering 150 is genius and 100 is the average person.

90-110 is "normal" with 90 being low-normal and 110 being high-normal. The rest of the scale looks something like this (I may not have the numbers exactly right but this is the progression):

120-130 is bright

140 is moderately gifted

150 is extremely gifted

160+ is profoundly gifted

Many US school have lowered the bar (now, there's a surprize) to include kids with IQs of 125 in their "gifted" programs. The Stanford Binet IQ test (the L subtest, specifically) is the gold standard of IQ testing, but, because of the knowledge/qualifications required to administer this test, most psychologists are using the Weschler scale instead, which hits a ceiling at about 130-140 and is heavily influenced by tester/testee interaction. So we've even dumbed down IQs!

• Author

Like I stated jsut a sec ago :

I know he is really smart he graduated when he was 16 from high school and and got his associate degree when he was 19 from college i dont remember in what though been too long..but his IQ was high back then also.hes now in his 30s .I was always told his IQ was very high .

Seems to me there have been several IQ scales over the years. I have a friend who swears she's 159; she was tested years ago and I'm pretty sure it was a very different scale.

CaterpillarGirl

Well I'm in the "gifted" bracket (168, if I recall). I struggled socially as a child, but I (hope) have since been able to have a normal social life. As for the common sense -- too true! Sadly, I have very little. Things like turning off lights when you leave a room, looking both ways b4 you cross a street, etc., I cannot seem to master.

I have been in a few situations where I was given all sorts of aptitude and IQ tests. I always scored above average, especially in the areas involving literature. I was never officially given a set number as a score. Knowing that I have potential is important enough for me.

This does come with some problems however. I can only imagine what it's like for your friend, or others who may score at what some refer to as the "genius" level. For one I can hardly understand math! I love to program, and applied mathematics are fine to me. Book math completely escapes me. I have trouble doing simple division, multiplication, subtraction and even addition in my head.

Teach me the methods however, and let me use a calculator and I perform quite well. Through my childhood I had to struggle with a few other issues, especially social interaction.

From what I understand, ones IQ is his potential. It does not necessarily mean that he is utilizing it to his fullest.

There always seem to be trade-offs when it comes to intelligence. Everyone is unique in his or her own way, and I like to believe we all have something wonderful to contribute to the world.

I am more proud of my PQ (penis quotient) than my IQ, although both originate in the same place I suppose. I am a well rounded guy........

I have a friend who swears she's 159; she was tested years ago and I'm pretty sure it was a very different scale.

Why do you think she was not tested on Stanford Binet? This was commonly used in the 50's and 60's and even into the 70's (don't know how old your friend was or when she was tested). Most of the other scales can't measure anything above 140, so I would think there's be a good chance that anyone with a 159 would have been tested on SB. (Not being argumentative here, just curious.)

So, how are her social skills? :D