Rehabilitation for underage sex offenders

Ella whispers

Ella whispers

While at dinner this weekend I met a young woman that works as a counselor for minor sex offenders. It was my first time meeting her so I didn't ask the kinds of questions that I wanted to. I did ask her if she believed that these "children" could be rehabilitated to never offend again.

She stated that she does believe it's possible, even in a case where the victim is less than 4 years of age and the offender is between 14-17 years. This is not in the same sense as cousins, siblings or friends of the same age being curious children and exploring the physical differences in the male and female form.

I very strongly disagree. I believe that it is a disease of the mind and there is no cure.

While most offenders are victims as well this is still no excuse. I am a victim of sexual abuse and I have never hurt anyone else. I believe that therapy is important and effective in healing but I don't believe that it can cure anyone. The offenders are aware that it is wrong. They aren't assaulting children in the open where other people are around. An example would be stealing; A child picks something up and just walks away with it in their hands as opposed to a child that conceals the item.

I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on this subject.

Can minor offenders be rehabilitated and live without reoffending?

I am not sure I would feel comfortable around anyone who is a sex offender and supposedly rehabilitated, but I have no real knowledge of the matter.

One of my client's neighbors came over while I was working and she sat down and started talking to us about her 16 year old son. When he was 13 years old he raped his 4 year old cousin. He was arrested, and by the time he was 15 he was registered as a sex offender.... and yes, he is in a boys' camp right now and is one of their more promising residents that they believe can be rehabilitated. But considering what she told us that he did to his cousin (which was uncomfortable to hear), the details of how he was sexually abused, combined with his mental problems... no, I think this kid is beyond rehabilitation.

Anyway, the next day when I saw my client again he said: "God, I can't believe how Tiffany was talking yesterday." We talked about it a little, but for the most part we were both quite stunned with the things she had said.

Can minor offenders be rehabilitated and live without reoffending?

I worked with young offenders- I had to get out of the profession because the job was way to heavy on me emotionally, physically, mentally. It's a tough job, and the pay was awful.

When I started out I had notions of making a difference and saving people, and I know I made a small difference in some of their lives- but not the hard core sexual offenders.

Honestly, it depends on the individual. Sexual offenders at that age are a tricky subject. If we're talking about molestation- my personal experience says most go on to become adult offenders.

Citizen Erased

It may be unlikely but it's at least worth the attempt don't you think? And having someone like her that believes in what she is doing, I admire that. Most of us are too cynical for that.

It's not like we are going to lock people up from the age if 15 until they die. The system doesn't work that way. If rehabilitation prevents some from re-offending, it's worth it IMO. I don't envy the people in her position.

• Author
Ella whispers

All I can think about is the CHANCE of it happening to another child.

I can't compare that risk to the risk of society losing the offender forever. Maybe it's wrong of me to place more value on one human life over the other. I just feel that it's a waste of money and time.

Citizen Erased

My point was that rehabilitation or not, they don't lock 15 year olds up for life for these sort of crimes. So they're let out amongst the population regardless. It's at least worth trying to get through to them while the have the little cretins locked up.