The Comparison Problem

For almost two years, I have really liked a guy who does not return my feelings. I think that he so completely perfect, but because he doesn't want to be with me, I decided it's better for both of us for me to try to move on(we're good friends). My problem is that whenever I try dating other guys, I keep comparing them to him and they fall so short in my eyes. I really want to stop doing this, because I know I'm giving up relationships that could be really good for me. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, only you can control your thoughts. Yep, you are in full control. You might try writing the Central Intelligence Agency to see if they have some secret radar gizmo that changes peoples thoughts without a lobotomy...but short of that you're out of luck.

It's sort of natural when you're in the healing process to make these kinds of comparisons. Let's face it...you were in love with this guy for quite a while and that's what you wanted. But our creator did us a great favor by making lots of potential mates for us. The earth is like one big Easter Egg hunt, except we look for those special people and, when we find that person, we've got the golden egg.

The best advice I can give you is that every person is unique and different. Every television program is different but I like a number of them. Every day is different, but I like lots of them. Every trip to the grocery store is different...there are just so many things that are great but different. Same goes for people. So just try to understand that you will meet some great guys, but they will be great in their own unique ways and you have to look for and appreciate those ways. I mean if everybody was like you ex, you wouldn't have a chance in hell of ever finding a guy...none of them would return your feelings. Viva la difference!!!

So, we've established that you are in control of your thoughts and everybody is unique. Everything from this point is up to you. Good luck...I know you can do it!!!