getting normal knowledge

Some responses to jean-luc take him seriously, and answer with genuine sincerity. Other responses treat his query as a joke, and answer with irony or sarcasm.

My question is, which is it? Is jean-luc a poor soul seeking answers or a bored individual seeking entertainment? And if the latter, why do we humor him?

A quick Google search shows that he has been asking this question ad nauseaum on forums such City-Data.com, the studentroom.co.uk, and mentalhealthforum.net, as well as on LS. January2010 is correct in saying that jean-luc is prolific! Can't say I'm not interested in jean-luc as a minor Internet phenomenon of sorts. I'm just puzzled by everyone's tolerance of his particular technique.

Or, perhaps he could just as well be our entertainment. He does manage to keep people interested. Perhaps that answers my original question!

I'm just puzzled by everyone's tolerance of his particular technique.

Or, perhaps he could just as well be our entertainment. He does manage to keep people interested. Perhaps that answers my original question!

If it weren't for the fact that he's been at it for years on various forums, I'd think it was an elaborate way of proving that he doesn't need to put in effort to obtain knowledge. All he needs to do is continue repeating the same question over and over, and other people will step forward to do the thinking for him. A bit like somebody getting a debate going on a forum, with the ultimate intention of manipulating others into researching an essay topic for them.

I see it as an opportunity to post about things that amuse or interest me, but that don't seem to merit their own threads. I've been looking for an excuse to post the Simon Cowell Sale of the Century link ever since I became snowbound. Jean Luc's normal knowledge threads are an opportunity to entertain yourself and post about whatever you like, under explanation that you're trying to help him achieve normal knowledge....so in his own apathetic way, he's providing a service to others.

Some responses to jean-luc take him seriously, and answer with genuine sincerity. Other responses treat his query as a joke, and answer with irony or sarcasm.

My question is, which is it? Is jean-luc a poor soul seeking answers or a bored individual seeking entertainment? And if the latter, why do we humor him?

A quick Google search shows that he has been asking this question ad nauseaum on forums such City-Data.com, the studentroom.co.uk, and mentalhealthforum.net, as well as on LS. January2010 is correct in saying that jean-luc is prolific! Can't say I'm not interested in jean-luc as a minor Internet phenomenon of sorts. I'm just puzzled by everyone's tolerance of his particular technique.

He's been asking questions like these for quite some time, but under different names. It seems his style has grown over time. Don't really know what his purpose is beyond trolling. He obviously is not interested in any sort of discussion on the subjects he asks.

Personally, I don't engage or humor him but I do enjoy watching others try.

I see it as an opportunity to post about things that amuse or interest me' date=' but that don't seem to merit their own threads. I've been looking for an excuse to post the Simon Cowell Sale of the Century link ever since I became snowbound. Jean Luc's normal knowledge threads are an opportunity to entertain yourself and post about whatever you like, under explanation that you're trying to help him achieve normal knowledge....so in his own apathetic way, he's providing a service to others.[/quote']

Personally, I don't engage or humor him but I do enjoy watching others try.

Now, that makes perfect sense! I will then appreciate jean-luc for his own circular, eccentric, and somewhat cathartic contributions to the world. Life is short, and there is fun to be had. So, we should definitely take any opportunity to have it. Much like normal knowledge. :)

It's like a recreational drug. I keep taking it to see if it will make any sense.

It never does....but maybe just one more post/pill.......

It's like a recreational drug. I keep taking it to see if it will make any sense.

It never does....but maybe just one more post/pill.......

He's his own Zen Buddhist koan, like the sound of one hand clapping. If you just sit with his query long enough, perhaps enlightenment will follow!

He's his own Zen Buddhist koan, like the sound of one hand clapping. If you just sit with his query long enough, perhaps enlightenment will follow!

Exactly. He's sort of like the lazy person's Forrest Gump.

• Author
jean-luc sisko

why do you mock me? is there a reason why i can't have normal knowledge?

• Author
jean-luc sisko
If it weren't for the fact that he's been at it for years on various forums, I'd think it was an elaborate way of proving that he doesn't need to put in effort to obtain knowledge. All he needs to do is continue repeating the same question over and over, and other people will step forward to do the thinking for him. A bit like somebody getting a debate going on a forum, with the ultimate intention of manipulating others into researching an essay topic for them.

I see it as an opportunity to post about things that amuse or interest me, but that don't seem to merit their own threads. I've been looking for an excuse to post the Simon Cowell Sale of the Century link ever since I became snowbound. Jean Luc's normal knowledge threads are an opportunity to entertain yourself and post about whatever you like, under explanation that you're trying to help him achieve normal knowledge....so in his own apathetic way, he's providing a service to others.

If everybody else has normal knowledge by default, then so can I. why do you have it by default?

• Author
jean-luc sisko
Because you want the results.

So why is my question a nonsense?

The way I see it, you (in a collective sense) are:

- are jealous i'll be smarter when I get normal knowledge (which is not my issue, it shows you hold abnormal conceptions of getting on with people)

- want to stop me (which is another nonsense, since anybody can do anything in life they want)

- are not thinking/acting normally, since you hold no logical/rational reason to stop me

Which one is it?

If everybody else has normal knowledge by default, then so can I. why do you have it by default?

Like you, I'm lazy and don't want to try too hard...so I use a special moisturiser that acts as a conductor of normal knowledge into the core of my being. I just wander around absorbing information without effort. I could sell you some if you like. Does £75 per fluid ounce sound like a fair price?

• Author
jean-luc sisko

I want normal knowledge. Again, there is no reason why I can't have it in an instant. I'm still waiting for somebody to present me such a reason.

I want normal knowledge. Again, there is no reason why I can't have it in an instant. I'm still waiting for somebody to present me such a reason.

Oh, why didn't you say so! I have a much better method. I absorb normal knowledge quicker and more easily with "InstaKnow," a special vitamin supplement developed from natural enzymes developed from plants and a few stray emu. Only US$50. A bargain compared to Taramere's product, although I don't know today's exchange rate.

As the product's tagline says: "Know all that's normal with InstaKnow! Sold everywhere unknowing people want to enhance their capabilities of normal knowing."

I want normal knowledge. Again, there is no reason why I can't have it in an instant.

OK then.

I'm still waiting for somebody to present me such a reason.

Why?

You've been given several opportunities to be entertaining, and haven't grasped any of them. Here is the last freebie I'm throwing you from my precious store of normal knowledge. If you can't sing for your supper, you will have to pay for it.

For a 1,500 word opinion which discusses in depth why it isn't feasible for you to obtain normal knowledge in an instant, I will charge you £350 plus VAT (I feel certain you're based in the UK). Regardless of whether you agree with the opinion, provided my opinion is competent and fair (ie making reference to relevant peer reviewed papers and legislation) the sum of £350 plus VAT will be non-refundable and must be paid up front before I do the work.

Others may wish to tender competing bids for the work. I don't mind if you want time to consider before you instruct me.

• Author
jean-luc sisko
OK then.

Why?

lol.. the fact is there is no reason. People if they're offended should simply get over it, or risk banishment to the mental slammer.

Oh hang around. It gets dumber....

people actually keep responding to this Troll...if you knew how he single-handedly keeps the entire network of Internet discussion forums going, by posing inane, pointless, and deliberately provocative questions and comments, I think you could actually start admiring the guy for his sheer audacity and the fact that he just keeps reeling people in to his idiotic, pointless discussions.

All he needs to do is add a question mark to his latest purler, and people answer.

Classic.

I think he's got (to date) four different entire forums working on this one.

Amazing....:rolleyes:

• Author
jean-luc sisko
Oh hang around. It gets dumber....

people actually keep responding to this Troll...if you knew how he single-handedly keeps the entire network of Internet discussion forums going, by posing inane, pointless, and deliberately provocative questions and comments, I think you could actually start admiring the guy for his sheer audacity and the fact that he just keeps reeling people in to his idiotic, pointless discussions.

All he needs to do is add a question mark to his latest purler, and people answer.

Classic.

I think he's got (to date) four different entire forums working on this one.

Amazing....:rolleyes:

lol..... what is wrong in asking this question? What is pointless in wanting to learn?

See? Incredible.

The troll actually expects me to fall for it....

• Author
jean-luc sisko

fall for what? Again, you have given me no good reason why I can't get normal knowledge, and you show a monumentally large ego by saying this thread is nonsense. Do you feel inadequate and just seek to compensate?

I think you're just envious of me getting normal knowledge, and probably are mentally retarded and don't understand social interaction properly.

See?

Again with the question marks.

Then the insult, intended to evoke a pithy and equally insulting response, because obviously, the question mark didn't do it....

Somewhat amateur tactics for a seasoned troll....

Ironically, it's the sheer dumbness that keeps us coming back, as if we think one more comment will make him break character! We're trying to force jean-luc's hand, but he just won't be forced out of his masterful trolling. If he applies the same skill to his life as he applies to these threads, he's probably quite successful indeed.

I would actually like to have this conversation with jean-luc in person one day to see the expressions on his face as he asks these questions. Or, I picture a pull-cord doll which offers his catch phrases at the pull of the string:

"You're not being rational."

<pull>

"Why don't I deserve normal knowledge?"

<pull>

"It's my right to obtain normal knowledge. You can't stop me!"

That would be funny. :)