Mixed Signals

Need some advice...long story but we're both married (she unhappily and has had one affair; me in more like a companion-marriage); she is 40 and I'm 54...been very close friends for 3 years - not physical but definitely emotional. We've gotten each other thru some tough times. We talk and/or text almost daily (sometimes talk 2-3 times a day), even on weekends. I stop by her her house occasionally for talk and we do coffee in public. She knows I feel more than friendship but she claims not to feel the same. We were at a holiday party and I texted her that she looked sexy, etc. She texted back later that was TMI for friends and that I could have just told her she looked elegant...but the next day I agreed with that I COULD have said that but that the sexy comment with true and i wasn't apologizing for it...she then backed down, gave a little laugh, saying she was tired last night and on we go with business as usual.

My question is that I get mixed signals....when I openly flirt and compliment her, she smiles, laughs and enjoys it. But when I try and get a bit more serious, the doors close. Am I just being a schmuck? We are truly wonderful friends and really "get" each other.

Hi oysterman,

Looking ahead at the hypothetical, bigger picture. ,she stops with the mixed signals and recipricates your feelings.

You get involved in a full on A. What do want to become of this?

Her having already been down this path, she's likely to realise, you can't go back, to the friendship you now have.

Good luck.

Edited by skywriter