Valentines day dinner with fwb? Completely inappropriate?

My fwb of 3 months asked me to dinner on valentines day. He prefaced it by saying he knew this was probably breaking some unspoken rule but would i like to go out for dinner with him. Even weirder, this was done by him leaving a voice message? It's so odd. I haven't called him back yet.

Brief history: we were acquaintances before we started sleeping together, but were both in long term relationships and were strictly platonic with each other. Until our eventual break ups, then the fwb arrangement came about because we both weren't ready or looking to date anyone seriously.

The dynamic of the past 3 months is that we meet a few times a week generally just to have sex. There is a lot of pillow talk and cuddling because I genuinely enjoy talking to him, but we've never been out on a 'date' as such. I've gone to the movies and lunch with him a few times, but those could all pass for being 'two friends hanging out' type affairs. Went on a road trip with his friends for a week last month. On the other hand, I realise going to dinner with a guy on valentines day can't pass as a friendly catch up.

I'm worried about getting attached. We already lack the rules that everyone says are so important to have when you are in a friends with benefits situation. As much as I want to go to dinner with him, should I be firm and tell him it's best we don't in the interests of keeping everything casual?

Almost forgot to add, he bumped into me while I was out with another guy a couple of nights ago. Me and the other guy weren't holding hands but when he asked I truthfully told him that it was a date. He didn't seem too fussed at the time. But maybe he's getting territorial and is trying to make sure I don't spend Valentines with any one else?

Edited by janinenm
  • Author

this is my first time having a fwb. is it typical to see them on valentines day, hang out etc? maybe i could suggest we meet up for benefits and skip the dinner? but i'm worried that may come off as offensive to him