good friend confesses he's into me after break up with girlfriend

A good friend of mine I was backpacking with for 2 weeks told me after 7 months of just email contact ( he lives in another country) that he was into me, that it wasn't just shallow attraction and although he had himself in control that at one night he was very close to letting go. After 7 months he wants to know if I felt that tension and closeness, too. Then he informs me that the reason why he feels it fine to tell me now is because he is broken up with his girlfriend ( they got together a few days! before we went traveling together), that he is distinctively broken up and is gonna go see her for a few days (she also lives somewhere else) just as friends although he is still open about it but flirting with me makes him doubt it is gonna work out and also he thinks they are not for each other and that he doesn't know what to take from that. I was speechless for a few days, wanted to reply to what he said ( he told me to respond if I had something to say, but that I should be kind about it, genuine critic) but he had no more time, so promised me to talk today, after he's gone to see her. Of course he did not. I am not dumb. I feel played with. Should I just cut off contact or give him a bit of time and then confront him? I do care about him very much but his previous ways of dealing with women although he claims he wants to change and has already changed a lot give me great doubts I should even just continue being friends with him? Who uses friends like that? Man ego? He said he didn't wanna bring it up but it just happened. And would I not have encouraged him telling me all truth about how he felt he would have stopped. But he started it and came back to it again in our conversation. Did he just wanna know if he could have had me? It the attraction was mutual? Who would risk a friendship over that? Did he wanna feel it out to see his options? That's unfair, why did he not think about consequences? I know he can't be serious about me so shortly after the breakup. But why no respect? What is going on inside him?

edit: he also told me that he recalled that night in the tent in his head numberous times after, pondering the extent of its meaning etc and that our meaningful and deep talking also kept something to happen as we respected each other a lot and he also wanted to be faithful to his girlfriend.

Edited by relatalk