would you retire early

I'll say up front that I am grateful for being able to consider it.

2 kinds of retirement, from work and from society.

After a few decades of long, hard work, and mostly prudent financial moves, I'm now able to consider retiring in a few years. (I'll be roughly 55 then)

I've had my joys in society, such as a few girlfriends, a few good buddies.

But I grow weary of traffic, noise, employment, breakups, relationship friction, waiting in lines, etc. I don't like putting on my game face every day.

Retiring early wouldn't be a prudent move, prudent would be working to at least 62, but if it's doable now, why not?

The long term dollars (taxes & land prices) only add up if I relocate to a very rural setting. (I'm 90 miles away from New Hampshire woods now)I'm no hunter or even fisherman, I need to stay within driving distance of a supermarket, not to mention the dentist, and banking. Sure I'll grow some food but I can't fully depend on it. (I do you grow cottage cheeze anyhow?)

Economics and seasonal road conditions would dictate few trips to civilization and long bouts of isolation. I've enjoyed short term isolation and I mentioned the "weary of society" factors above.

Do I seem confused yet? I guess I'm asking 2 questions of you. Has anyone here lived off the beaten path or rejected it/why?

Has anyone hear retired early or decided not to/why?

This is beginning to sound a lot like Alone in the Wilderness.

Dick Proenneke retired at age 50 in 1967 and decided to build his own cabin on the shore of Twin Lakes. The first summer he scouted for the best cabin site, and cut and peeled the logs he would need for his cabin. Dick Proenneke returned the next summer to finish the cabin where he lived for over 30 years. Dick filmed his adventures, and Bob Swerer later turned the film into a video so we can all watch this amazing man build his cabin by hand.

Here is a clip:

If I could never work I would do it but I doubt I would give up on women or sex. My desires are too strong. One's identity in society is mostly based on one's profession. I would need to come to terms with an almost leper status in others' minds even if they knew I was well off without employment. It isn't so much jealousy on their part but people can't wrap their head around the idea you aren't your job or you can have no job and not be a bum. It isn't until your 60's or 70's that claiming retirement as an occupational status becomes acceptable since society no longer cares and no one is on the hunt for sexy grandpa except the old ladies at the home. That age is probably becoming older as people in general work longer.

• Author

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of making up a cover story about being some sort of telecommuter. I don't want people thinking I'm sitting on a load of money. As you say, people are more accepting of the age 60 retired, but I expect to meet few persons out there.

I know the Dick Proenneke story. I wouldn't rough it so much. I'll build a conventional (if small) home, and be close enough to stock up at the Supermarket.

(I do you grow cottage cheeze anyhow?)

corrected to How do
I guess I'm asking 2 questions of you. Has anyone here lived off the beaten path or rejected it/why?

Has anyone hear retired early or decided not to/why?

Yes, I've lived off the beaten path and loved it. No stress, no worries, about as free as a man can be and the happiest times of my life. I left it because I met a girl and got dragged into the machine. Sixteen years into conformed society and I regret ever changing that lifestyle. A few more years to see some responsibilties through and I will go back to it. Will probably be mid to late 40's by then. Could work longer and earn more money but I can't see the point in swapping another decade or two of my life for a few quid. After all, what a does a man really need? A roof over his head, some food in his belly and the freedom to be his own man. The rat race only gives two of those things, and they come at a hell of a price.

• Author
Yes, I've lived off the beaten path and loved it. No stress, no worries, about as free as a man can be and the happiest times of my life. I left it because I met a girl and got dragged into the machine. Sixteen years into conformed society and I regret ever changing that lifestyle. A few more years to see some responsibilties through and I will go back to it. Will probably be mid to late 40's by then. Could work longer and earn more money but I can't see the point in swapping another decade or two of my life for a few quid. After all, what a does a man really need? A roof over his head, some food in his belly and the freedom to be his own man. The rat race only gives two of those things, and they come at a hell of a price.

Very interesting. I'd love to know the details of your former life, and how will set it up again.

I wouldn't retire till the very last moment that society decides it no longer wants me.

I have seen too many people die right after retiring because they lost the reason they used to live...

We had a driver here at work die within 6 months of retiring..

After her retired he did all the projects around the house that kept him busy and then there were no more..

I work because I love it.. I love my company and how fulfilled it makes me feel each and every day..

I have been thinking about the exit strategy here in the last few years and some ground work has been laid for that but rest assured that if I sell out here in the next 10 years that I will just create a new smaller place to sink my fingers into.

As far as retiring from society..

I think I already have my little slice of that..

I bought a cabin in the mountains many years ago and spend weekends there..

Totally away from society.. about 2 hours form the city

Since getting married and having a kid it has moved to every other weekend and even then only 1.5 days.. but still it is my getaway..

No internet.. (okay.. my wifes IPAD or my IPHONE).

and if you think I'm not far enough away.. I think I am..

As it turned out Eric Rudolph was hanging out and found just 10 miles or so from my cabin and he hid for a couple of years up there..

Edited by Art_Critic

If I could afford it I would retire and just run a small business every now and then to keep me busy.

I am in my mid 50's & I did retire early, about 3 years ago. The first 2 years where great, I relocated to a warmer climate just a few miles from a smaller town and about an hour from a large city. At first it was like being on that never ending vacation I always longed for. Then I found myself volunteering & realized how difficult it was not to feel like I was part of something more than my own vacation. Personally, after a couple of years I missed the interactions and challenges that work forced on me. "The reason most people die after they retire is because they have nothing to live for". If your tired of what you are doing I would ask you to consider doing something else. After two years I started getting bored so I started a small cottage business while continuing my volunteer work and thought that would give me my sense of purpose back. The small cottage business has occupied more time and attention than I care to give it so as of late I've been considering a part time job, something I can just walk away from at the end of the day. And after my extended vacation I have a different perspective, on many things, one of which is; I don't believe I want to ever completely retire, I just don't want to work so damn hard as I use to. There is a difference between working for a living & living to work. I would suggest you take an extended vacation when your able to retire. Do the things you've always wanted, and can afford. Then find something you enjoy doing and if someone will pay you to do it, do it as long as you enjoy it & when you stop enjoying it stop doing it. That is the freedom you will have.

It sounds like you've worked very hard & are just burned out. This would be a good time to move on. But don't think it will be easy at first, leaving a job or career that made up a big part of who you believe you are. That can be a tough transition in itself. I hope my story gave you some perspective. Good luck & enjoy.

To me, 'retire' means having the freedom to make the choice. It doesn't mean cessation of work, rather the freedom to/not to work when, where and as one chooses. I'll be retired when I can choose to do what I do each day for free and not care. I already do to a certain extent but marriage and divorce cost me a bunch of that freedom.

My best friend retired a couple years ago at 55 but the management he had in place at his company failed him and he's been forced back out of retirement to straighten things out. He was just saying the other day that, with their lifestyle, he has more money than he'll ever spend so why get beat up every day. He actually took a few days off to come out and help me roof my office just to get away. Perhaps that's why we're best friends, as we both enjoy the simple things in life like working with our hands and having a few beers together; no pretense. I may be relatively 'poor', but I don't seem poor to him; like his daughter once told me, I'm one of the few people who's never asked him for 'help' (money), frankly because I don't need it.

I've lived off the beaten path for a couple decades and, after tasting city life while rehabbing the house my exW got in the divorce I can say it's not for me. Nice place to visit but I'd rather spend time at some desolate beach or out in the woods. So, once I've recovered financially from the divorce, that's the plan. Hope your plan works out :)

I would also like to mention; even if you can afford to retire, (good health & dental insurance is a killer even if your in good health), there is the "feeling" of security in receiving a regular paycheck that I found unsettling for awhile when I stopped receiving one and was living on "my own money". There will be some emotional adjustments to get use to, most will be pleasant, some will not be. Again, good luck & enjoy.

If one does some retirement and estate planning, a 'regular paycheck' can be a part of that if one chooses. In my case, I get 'regular paychecks' from tenants and, if desired, one can structure an annuity or other financial product to provide a 'monthly paycheck'. Being self-employed with accounts receivable, I haven't had a regular paycheck since 1986, and am used to it, but can see how some people would be a bit stressed by that regular paycheck going away. Where there's a problem, there's a solution :)

I agree with carhill & his friend as I struggled to pay bills & raise a family on a fraction of what I have available to me now, and now I don't owe anything, partly because I just enjoy living so much more simply than I ever did. All those "toys" I use to own in actuality just owned me. Like I mentioned earlier, I have different perspectives & am enjoying myself more than ever. The freedom to do what you enjoy is what I only wish I realized years ago & if you can get paid for it, that just a bonus.

If one does some retirement and estate planning, a 'regular paycheck' can be a part of that if one chooses. In my case, I get 'regular paychecks' from tenants and, if desired, one can structure an annuity or other financial product to provide a 'monthly paycheck'. Being self-employed with accounts receivable, I haven't had a regular paycheck since 1986, and am used to it, but can see how some people would be a bit stressed by that regular paycheck going away. Where there's a problem, there's a solution :)

I had apartments also for about twenty years & it was a good way to make extra. Although I did put twenty years of sweat equity into them while holding down a more than 40 hour a week job. But that was so completely different from my regular job that at times it was a nice get away. I've gotten over not getting an independent check from an employer. It was just one of those momentary insecurities I didn't consider. Like not being what I was, as an employee, for almost thirty years anymore or interacting with clients daily, it took a couple months to realize I missed it. Although I still do miss it I'm comfortable with it. It's... different starting a new life after holding primarily the same job for thirty years and working nearly forty years. Which is why I can relate to what carhill said about having the freedom to choose and to do what you enjoy rather than what you have to do to keep the lights on.

• Author
I would also like to mention; even if you can afford to retire, (good health & dental insurance is a killer even if your in good health), there is the "feeling" of security in receiving a regular paycheck that I found unsettling for awhile when I stopped receiving one and was living on "my own money". There will be some emotional adjustments to get use to, most will be pleasant, some will not be. Again, good luck & enjoy.

Evey point you've made on this thread rings a bell with me. It helps me clarify the issues I've been wondering about. carhill and the others have been helpful too.

I'm beginning to think I'll need (emotionally) that part time job. That would seem to limit my ability to get away from it all. (no jobs out in the woods).

The health insurance issue is the biggest financial concern. I can swing it based on current rates, but we all know the rates will change and won't change for the better. I hope this universal health care stuff is clearer in the next few years as to what it will and won't do.

And I'll be counting on the age 62 Soc Security that we've been promised.

I can accomadate some negative changes in SS, but the lion share needs to be delivered as promised.

Again, I hope the SS revamps become clearer in the next few years.

I believe MadiCare isn't available until age 65 not 62. You do know there are several countries that recognize our Social Security or retirement plan and most of them have state health care systems? LOL.

Before age 65, you are eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance if:

• You have been entitled to Social Security disability benefits for 24 months; or
  • You receive a disability pension from the railroad retirement board and meet certain conditions; or
  • If you receive Social Security disability benefits because you have Lou Gehrig’s disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis); or
  • You worked long enough in a government job where Medicare taxes were paid and you meet the requirements of the Social Security disability program; or
  • You are the child or widow(er) age 50 or older, including a divorced widow(er), of someone who has worked long enough in a government job where Medicare taxes were paid and you meet the requirements of the Social Security disability program.
  • You have permanent kidney failure and you receive maintenance dialysis or a kidney transplant and:
    • You are eligible for or receive monthly benefits under Social Security or the railroad retirement system; or
    • You have worked long enough in a Medicare-covered government job; or
    • You are the child or spouse (including a divorced spouse) of a worker (living or deceased) who has worked long enough under Social Security or in a Medicare-covered government job.

[*]Source

While caregiving, I got a chance to see the inside of this aspect of retirement quite clearly and join others in viewing it as a critical aspect of the perceived 'freedom' of retirement. Medicare was, overall, really efficient, and I handled a bit over $1MM in claims. I also saw that having a comprehensive Medicare supplement was exceedingly important and was often the ticket to better quality of care. Learned a lot.

Very interesting. I'd love to know the details of your former life, and how will set it up again.

It started when I lived on the road for while trying to make my way on the golf tours. When that finished I carried drifting for a few years and eventually settled in what was little more than an old shack in the middle of nowhere. Got water from a stream, cooked over a fire and was slowly setting about turning it into a decent home. It would have taken years but I was in no hurry. I worked when I felt like it, building, fruit picking, stablehand, etc, there was always something. Sometimes I would just pack a rucksack and go exploring for a week or two. I built a putting green, practised my golf, lounged about by the stream reading, strolled 10 miles into town and spent the day in the pub, often strolling back as the sun was rising the next day. Was never bored, always something to do. It was just a completely different lifestyle, and one that required very little money. I grew veggies, made my own cider, and a days work on a farm gave me any food I couldn't grow. It was a very simple life.

To do it again I will wait for my business partner to retire and then sell up. Should have enough money to buy two small properties, one to rent out and another old ruin to restore, or maybe a plot of land to build on. One should cover the monthly bills of the other, and I will go back to playing golf, slowly building my own home and working the odd day for some pocket money.

Wink Tobasco

long bouts of isolation

From time to time I enjoy shorter term bouts of isolation. But i do notice I'm "off my game" when I first return to civilization. Interacting with people again is just a little strained at first. Longer bouts of isolation would increase this effect. If you spend months alone while snowed in, you may loose your edge in dealing with strangers.