Are we just friends?

HayleytheHoldenfan

HayleytheHoldenfan

Hi everyone.

I have a guy friend that I've known for over 17 years and I like him in that way.

We are both really inexperienced in relationships, neither of us has ever had a serious relationship.

Just before Christmas last year I confessed to him via text (not the best way I know, but I hadn't seen him for awhile and just wanted to be honest and take the plunge basically) and he didn't respond (though I didn't expect him to). Do you think it's a simple case of no answer is your answer, or because he's inexperienced and pretty shy with girls, he didn't know what to say?

I gave him space for a few months because I thought that was best. He came into my work to buy some things (I work in a supermarket) and things didn't seem awkward, though I don't think he's been coming in as often as he used to.

We went to see a movie with my brother a couple of weeks ago and it was the first time we'd done something social like that since I confessed. We got along great like we always do, heaps of talking and stirring and laughing and smiling, which I took as a sign that things weren't awkward.

We carpooled to the movies and he sat behind me. On the way home he started punching my seat (I suspect to stir me and get a reaction) so I jokingly told him to bugger off and then he's reached from behind and put his hands over my eyes. Probably means nothing, though in all the years we've known one another there hasn't been physical stuff like that, basically just verbal banter. Some people think that it could be flirting, but I don't know. We're pretty good friends and we get along really easily, so maybe it was just friendly. I also think that a guy and girl that are friends can "flirt" and still remain platonic, though I don't see him as being the type to do that. Or maybe I'm just a guinea pig or something and he's testing his "charms" out on me? Haha

Under a week later he came into my work and brought ONE thing... was about to leave and saw me and came over and said hi and mentioned that he had lost his job like we thought he was going to (he mentioned it was possible when we went to the movies). I asked him to send me a text about catching up because he couldn't stay for long and over 10 days on he hasn't.

It has always been me that's suggested catching up (though the recent movie thing was his idea, he just mentioned it to my brother) so that's probably a telltale sign right there that we're just friends.

Every time we have done something though, with the tiny exception of him coming into my work, we have always done stuff with other people, so should I just leave it as friends (which is better than nothing I guess) or suggest doing something with just me and him without making it sound too strange or obvious?

Thanks for any advice :)