Mental Abuse

Hi all I am new around here and I have a big problem I'll probably get deeper into it later but I would like to know what is considered mental abuse? My sister says my husband does it to me all the time and that I'm stupid for not seeing it. He is 40 and I am 23. What exactly is the difference in being an a**hole and being mentally abusive??

I will give some scenarios later but I was wondering if anyone here has any examples or input?

CC.....

With more detail we'll probably prove more helpful.

In general, I would say abuse would include any words used or manipulated to hurt or demean you. Your sister's use of the word "stupid" might qualify as a bit abusive itself.

If the words are tearing down your self-esteem mark them down in the abusive column. If they are spoken with love with the intention of helping you, mark them in the non-abusive column.

When you are put down and made to feel stupid and worthless, that is mental abuse. He is not hitting you physically, but he is dealing wounds to your mind that, in time, will make your self-image and self-respect suffer. You will either believe his attitudes about you or you will hate yourself for tolerating them even if you don't believe them.

With more detail we'll probably prove more helpful. In general, I would say abuse would include any words used or manipulated to hurt or demean you. Your sister's use of the word "stupid" might qualify as a bit abusive itself. If the words are tearing down your self-esteem mark them down in the abusive column. If they are spoken with love with the intention of helping you, mark them in the non-abusive column.