Should men and women actually want to be platonic friends?

Women seem to not mind. Not even if the the guy is obviously interested in her.

Many men do it because they see it as the only way that they can be around her. And maybe she'll just fall for him.

Edited by somedude81
Intergalactic
Esplain, Lucy.

wellllllllllllllll, i think it's pretty simple to just say "men and women shouldn't or shouldn't want to be platonic". people are more complex than that. men and women and are not vastly emotionally different, and friendship relies on emotional connection. we have a wide array of emotions and both mental and physical needs, and if a man comes along who fulfils some of those needs - like the need for company, or companionship, or fun times, or whatever - then i would not say that we shouldn't be friends. i would not feel like i shouldn't want to be his friend. there are all kinds of love in this world, and not all are just romantic or just platonic or just familial.

for example, my best friend of a long time is male. he and i have been through a lot together, good times and bad, and we have both needed and been needed. sometimes we have significant others, sometimes we do not. all the time, we have each other. that doesn't change, whether there is an SO or not. the ONLY time we have questioned our feelings for each other is when we were younger and our peers told us that it was unusual/strange/weird/wrong that we were "just friends". that because we hung out together a lot, did things like go to movies, have dinner, have (non-sexual) sleepovers etc, that when these things were done between a male and a female, they were "couple" activities. why? if i don't want to kiss the person, surely it isn't a "couple" activity? i wouldn't kiss him or hold his hands or jump his bones, just like i wouldn't with my female friends. it was an unhappy time for both of us because we felt like we were being pressured into feeling something for each other that we just DIDN'T, all because people couldn't understand how we could be so close and yet NOT romantically involved.

i believe he fulfils most of my "friendship" needs - i trust him more than all people (not including my mum!) and i tell him things i tell no one else. he is my confidante and a true soulmate. he doesn't, however, fulfil my "romantic" needs and he never will because the desire to go that step further just is not there for us. it's great, i'm really a truly lucky person to have found such a friend.

anyway, i had to use my own experience to be able to define why i believe men and women should want to be friends with each other. because when it comes to friendship, i believe it is about the emotional bond between two people and that spans the distance between male and female. i am emotionally attracted to aaron, to his personality - it is kin to my own and i love it.

so yes, women and men should want to be platonic friends. every person should want to be platonic friends with whomever they feel that platonic attraction to, regardless of gender.

and on that note, if you are saying that men and women SHOULDN'T want to be friends, i assume it is because of the fact that men and women engage in sexual and romantic relationships? if that is the case, then how do you feel about homosexual, bisexual, pansexual and what-have-you men and women being friends with women or men?

Edited by Intergalactic