"Hot or Not."

Has anyone ever used the "Hot or Not" website?

Now, I know it's not accurate at all. And this is why I find it so darn hilarious.

I made 3 different accounts there, with 3 different photos of myself.

(Just to prove it's inaccuracy for fun.)

One picture I had black short hair with a normal expression.

Second picture I had dark brown hair medium length with a alluring expression.

Third picture I had my long hair, with a cute smile.

3 different pictures, three different ratings.

Heres what they got.

1) 8.4 - 8.7 (Originally 8.6, went down to 8.4)

2) 9.3 (went up to a 9.5, waiting till more people see it.)

3) 9.8 (Again, may go up or down, but still a solid result for now)

It's some hilarious stuff. Only thing that changed in these photos

is my hair and expression.

Has anyone used this website seriously? Did you get a good rate?

Do you also find it to be a joke?

In general, what is your view on the 1-10 hot scale? I personally don't

use the scale, but it's rather amusing to say at the least.

Eternal Sunshine

Eh, I get 9s but really don't feel like I am anywhere close to a 9. It's inaccurate.

I did find it good when doing online dating because if you discard the score and just look at the relative ranking of your pics, you will see which is the best one (in your case no 3).

Has anyone ever used the "Hot or Not" website?

I do. I don't take it seriously, but it's amusing. I haven't created multiple accounts or anything like that - just one account with one photo and it currently scores 9.9, which just makes me chuckle because...

In general, what is your view on the 1-10 hot scale?

... I'm about a 7. :laugh:

The HotorNot scoring is normalised (which, in practice, often gives scores higher than the mean average of the ratings you get there... but I'm not going to try to explain what normalising means).

Aside from that, having a score and a scale and comparing people based on it is fairly pointless because, as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Entertainment value only.

• Author

Oh boy 9.8 went up to 9.9!

My picture that ranked a 8.5 must have been far less good! Note to self,

light brown long hair.. keep that! :lmao:

@Eternal Sunshine Well if that's you in your dp, you're gorgeous. :love:

• Author

It just shows how inaccurate it is. The purpose of the 3 photos was to see mixed results. But, I have the same face in all of them.

At least I now know what hair looks the hottest on me. :lmao:

Thing about the website is that people will often vote low on purpose.

Or those who are showing most skin get higher ratings.

Eternal Sunshine
Also, it's always exciting when I see LS regulars on there. :)

Oh jesus. Not me I hope :eek:

• Author

I'll likely get more accurate results once a good 2k vote. My scores keep going up and down, but still in the 9 range.

This is too funny.

Back in the day it was acurate IMO but now it's bs. I got 9.9 avg out of 29 reviews and I can tell you there's no way I'm a 9.9. I'm average/cute so I know it's bs.

• Author

A I mentioned prior, I know people will vote low on purpose. I also read that some people would vote those who are less attractive higher on purpose.

Some people just rate 5's all around. It's not serious, but I would see how it's

a true self esteem killer to get lower than a 7 on this website.

I don't think I'm a 9 either. Id likely give myself a 8 at best, but hey, I'm

not complaining so far. :laugh:

Funny, as I've just checked hotornot after similar discussion on different board.

Guess what was the lowest average among 10 random females I've seen?

Yeah, right... In fact my vote was lower than average in every single case, and I'm not even that picky, appearance-wise.

1-10 rating scale is absolute BS (BS not standing for "betrayed spouse" in this case).

Edited by rafallus
Guess what was the lowest average around 10 random females I've seen?

I find that there's some clumpiness in the scores of the women it presents to me... sometimes there will be long runs of high-scoring photos and sometimes there will be long runs of low scoring (6ish, which I usually think are more like a 1 or 2 or 3).

WhisperinnWinds

I haven't been there in YEARS - not since I was 13 or so. Like most insecure, fearful 13-year-olds, I uploaded just a face shot of myself. To be fair, it was small and a little blurry. My score?

After that, I never went back. I don't want to know how ugly or pretty I am!

kiss_andmakeup

Wow, I haven't been on that site in ages.

I just visited it for kicks (didn't post a pic, just clicked through). I went through maybe 10-20 photos and every single one was rated over a 9. And I would say most of the photos I saw were, realistically, substantially less than a 9.

So my overall impression is that it's not very accurate!

It's really not. The scale actually seems to go from about 7.5-10. I've seen a couple of people rated 7 but not many. I'd consider it to go from 7.5 - 10. When I put my picture up, initially i was 9.9 for a while. Now I have 200 votes I'm 8.8 which is (using their strange scale) probably more accurate.

It'd be 100x better to see the raw data like you used to be able to and see exactly how many people rated you each number.

I just popped on right now for like a minute or two and every almost every photo I see is about 9 +. I agreed with some and disagreed with others. I just a click heap of tens to see the next picture.:p If there are others that did that, that's part of the reason why scores are so high.

Haha, just to test it, I put the EXACT SAME PHOTO up on two different accounts.

One is at 7.2 and the other is 9.7.

Uh... seriously? For hotornot that's basically both ends of the scale. Haha, what the hell.

All the white people on hot or not get a 9 as long as they are not fat.

For female profiles, all I can say is that you haven't looked at enough if you're not familiar with the ones in the 5.x range. Some of them are scary.

Sorry, I think I missed your point. You're saying there's a bias in the scoring based on skin colour or ethnic background? Yes, probably.

Hot or Not really destroyed my self esteem. I was always confident of my appearance until I learned that I'm actually a 5. But its okay. At least now I know where I am on the attractiveness scale.

Hot or Not really destroyed my self esteem. I was always confident of my appearance until I learned that I'm actually a 5. But its okay. At least now I know where I am on the attractiveness scale.

You might find that the same photo, or another photo that you don't really think is any different, gets a higher score if uploaded to a new account. Or not. It's a risk. Don't let it upset you. Nobody wants to date a photograph.

It just shows how inaccurate it is. The purpose of the 3 photos was to see mixed results. But, I have the same face in all of them.

At least I now know what hair looks the hottest on me. :lmao:

Thing about the website is that people will often vote low on purpose.

Or those who are showing most skin get higher ratings.

This actually suggests a practical(ish) use for HoN. Ignore the absolute rankings of your photos, and just gauge relative reactions to different styles of clothing, hair, posture, etc.

Finally: An empirical approach to improving one's style!