Does Southern Accent Turn You Off?

musemaj11

Im not racist or anything. I have spent most of my life in California and thanks to the constant negative portrayal of southern culture in American mainstream media, I cant help but feeling turned off by someone who speaks with a strong southern accent. It makes the speaker somehow comes across as stupid even if she/he is not. :lmao:

shadowofman

I live in the South and love the South. The southern accent in itself can be cute and endearing, but when accompanied with a lack of intelligence, it is a major turn off.

Going to high school in the South has forever left me cringing when I hear anyone say the word, "fiance". Ughugugug....

I live in the South and love the South. The southern accent in itself can be cute and endearing, but when accompanied with a lack of intelligence, it is a major turn off.

Going to high school in the South has forever left me cringing when I hear anyone say the word, "fiance". Ughugugug....

I also currently live in the south and agree, "accompanied with a lack of intelligence, it is a major turn off", but that goes for any accent not just southern. First of all, there is no single southern accent it varies from region to region. My wife is from "the south" and at times can sound like the sweetest, sexiest southern belle & other times like Reba, which is adorable, ha ha. The south has gotten a bad rap also & because of it many are very defensive. I recently read that southerners are the friendliest & the rudest people you will ever meet & it was in the same article. The one thing I've learned is that the south is very diverse & so are southerners, the ones who where born here and the huge number of us who migrated here.

Edited by oldguy
The southern accent in itself can be cute and endearing, but when accompanied with a lack of intelligence, it is a major turn off.

This. And I would add that a kind personality is just as important for the accent to come across as attractive, but it IS possible for it to sound attractive.

I think girls with a southern accent are more attractive than guys with one. But when it comes to northern accents, I think guys sound more attractive than girls do.

Which accent do you have?

I don't think I have either. Although, more often than not, i've been told I have a slight southern accent. Too slight for me to notice.

I was wondering since you have your location down as Maryland which I kind of see as not quite Southern and not quite Northern.

That's exactly how I see it too. I don't think many people from here have much of an accent, if one at all.

I'm from California and my boyfriend is from Texas and I LOVE his accent. When he whispers something sweet in my ear I swear my heart melts.

Southern accents can be a turn off (if they sound ignorant), but I've met a few people who have the sweetest southern accents. I'm from the south myself, gettin' lucky in KY, so I have a slight southern accent. Although, I've been told I sound proper at times. I wish I sounded normal.

This is sad but i've lived in Louisiana all of my life and have a southern accent, but it's not thick. What's weird is that i'm not attracted to guys with southern accents. It just makes me think country and i've never been into the country life. My ex was from Pitt and I LOVED his northern accent!

TokyoG33kyGal

i find it cute but it reminds me of the two guys i dated before XD i have sworn never to date a guy with a southern accent

as a life long southerner, i can say that it's more complicated than that.

a) there are variations of southern accents. there's a high brow blue blood type southern accent, then there's a redneck accent. the redneck accent sucks, no matter who it's on. the upper class southern accents are different, i don't mind those. as someone mentioned above, larry the cable guy is redneck, foghorn leghorn is more stereotypical high brow southern, the two are different. these are often differences in vocabulary. the proper southern people will have the vocabulary and their speech sounds almost deliberate, but otherwise just the accent. the rednecks will misuse words and speak lazily in addition to the accent, that's why they sound trashy.

b) people from new orleans have an accent that closely matches new york accents (bronx specifically). it's hard to tell them apart. other people from southern louisiana have anywhere from a little to a lot of french in theirs, and considering they speak about 150 miles per hour it can be hard to pick up, but it's altogether different from other southern accents.

c) texas isn't really southern, they also have an accent all of their own, it's a mix between lazy redneck and southern gentleman type accents. sort of mumbling, but not quite (former president bush for example). there's also a "look" about people from texas. square faces on men specifically.

Edited by thatone
I think all american accents are a bit annoying.

LOL, I am not used to American accents too but liked the accent of the character 'Sawyer' from 'LOST' much muchly. I believe that was a Southern accent he was portraying... with his hot self.

Daughter had a boyfriend from Colarado and his accent was rather odd. Very whiney whiney. Not what I was expecting at all. We never really got past his accent. Cute boy though.

I like the way Americans say Iraq. This seems pretty universal. It's really funny.. like comes out, eye-rack... :laugh: Quirky!

Take care,

Eve x

IThe southern accent in itself can be cute and endearing, but when accompanied with a lack of intelligence, it is a major turn off.

This. Some of them are totally fascinating. The first time I met a person with a heavy southern accent was when I was sixteen (I'm European and hadn't been exposed to the American south before). I was mesmerised and just wanted him to keep talking so I could keep listening to this novel way of speaking :laugh:

GorillaTheater

I don't have an accent, so I really don' know what the hell y'all are talkin' about.