Best Friend Married Her Abuser Says It Never Happened Again

GildedLily

GildedLily

My best friend from childhood who I grew up with recently married her boy friend of 9 years. About 5 years ago she and he got into an altercation when they were both drunk. Basically she forced herself into his house when he wanted to be left alone. She gained entry through breaking open a huge window. When she got in he beat her up so bad that she had a busted nose and TWO black eyes. When the police came they took photos and that still haunt me to this day. Her bf lied about the abuse saying that she hit her head upside the counter while drunk. The police didn't believe him and pressed charges.

After that night he wanted nothing more to do with her and was mad at her! She begged him to get back together and I don't think he ever acknowledged what he did. Now four years later she says they both stopped partying and he has never laid a hand on her again. My question is do you guys think this is possible? he didn't have therapy only court mandated anger management. Can an abuser have an incidence once or twice and never do it again?

Side note: Prior to this incident there was one other where he smacked her for no reason on the mouth while drunk.