FWB to something more?

I am slightly freaking out right now.

I am just realizing that I have some feelings for someone I've known for years. We were f*** buddies for a few years, and then stopped seeing each other while I had a serious relationship with someone who actually wanted me as his girlfriend.

Now that I'm single again 2 years later, I let myself meet up with him (didn't trust myself to before). We had a conversation that was more open and intimate than any we've ever had before. Everything was different this time. I sense that he may have some feelings for me, which freaks me out because I am not sure of how to handle that. But if it turns out he doesn't, it will probably make me feel like crap.

I might like him, but I don't know if that's a good thing. The whole idea of being boyfriend-girlfriend is so off-limits in my mind that I'm feeling conflicted. I don't want to get hurt. I mean, it is probably just wishful thinking on my part that something more might be there.

After seeing him, he asked if he could call me again this weekend. Which he has never done before. So I teased him about that. Then a long hug. Which we've never done before. Then goodbye.

Not sure what sort of advice I am looking for. I just need to tell someone or I'll go nuts. If I tell any of my friends they will probably pitch a fit, and I'm not sure if I'd blame them.