trying to figure out if the feelings are mutual?

sooooo i'm being one of those insecure girls who doesn't have the balls to just flat out ask him yet, so i'm hoping someone on here (preferably the male race) can help a girl out with some insight on whether or not this kid shares my feelings.

about six months ago, i met this guy while i was on vacation (he lives there, i live elsewhere, he travels to where i live a lot on business). we hit it off, i guess... hung out quite a bit the week that i was there. nothing physical ever happened except little things he initiated (like putting his arm around me, playing footsie). i left him my phone number the morning that i headed home, he texted me a few days later telling me he thought we should meet up next time he's in the area (he works about an hour away from where i live when he's "here."). we flirted via text and facebook chat for a few weeks.

it was all smooth sailing for about a month before he started sharing with me the details of his recent/upcoming dates. he wasn't really dating regularly, but has gone on a few in the past six months. we're not together, so i tried to be cool about it. it was the first time i really had doubts that the feelings between us were mutual, so since that started, i've taken a step back in initiating conversations or being forward as much as i had been.

anyway, he was just in town for business over the weekend and wanted to hang out. we were having a hard time scheduling something around his work hours, which by the third night had really started to "upset" him, as he put it. anyway, he drove to the town i live in (again, about an hour away) to see me the last night he was here. we hung out, had drinks, talked most of the night, then went to bed (heavy make out session plus cuddling, no sex). he left before i fell asleep though to make it back to his hotel because he didnt want to get stuck in traffic and thought it would be more likely that he'd make it to work on time if he was at the hotel and not with me (not sure if he was just making excuses or if it was genuine).

he texted me the next morning to tell me he was late to work anyway and we texted for a little bit. badda bing, the end.

i really care about this kid, but i don't want to come off too strongly to him, especially when i'm really unsure of whether or not he genuinely has feelings for me or if i'm just a friend with benefits.