Living in a family that's psychologically abusive But they don't think they are

quietGuy13

They think it's normal and that by their abuse they're making me tougher or whtaver. Well let me tell you what,,, IT"S NEVER WORKED! and now i'm weak and mentally unstable. sometimes even with suicidal thoughts. So i don't know why they think their method works.

No, they don't hit me. But yes, they think i should not have freedom.

-They want me to do what they want

-They constantly tell me that my future will be what they want me to be

-They dont' let me go out

-They scold me for anylittle thing i do or don't do and I'm 31. So i'm always scared to even go out of my room.

-They always argue and cuss, not at me but they fight with eachother and then...if I pop into their mind they blame me in everything. and say i'm a loser etc. I hear this even when i'm inside of my room and it makes me feel bad.

-They want me to tell them where i go exactly and what i do exactly

ETC

But to them, they see it as normal. nothing wrong. But they don't get it cause the reason I'm shy and scared is actually because of them. I've been scared of my parents since i was a kid and so now it affects me everywhere including at work.

To recap: Male age 31, living with both parents. I'm slow mentally so they repeatedly get mad at me and blame me for everything and say that i'm a loser. They're nice too at times, but at other times i feel the madness. I try not to argue at all with them.. That's why i never express my opinion to anything cause as soon as i do, they get mad.

For example, i can't even tell them that i want to move out and live in an apartment cause they come down on me hard!!! And it's just talking and they get all angry.

I dont think your slow or mentally challenged. You are perceptive and see the reality of the situation and behaviors. I commend you for being the adult.

Sad though that you are and have been enduring this for so long. Naturally you will have some ill affacts from living in such an environment.

Sometimes its best to cut the ties that bind you when the situation is unbearable, and I must say , this is a perfect example of such. Can you afford to be on your own? Is there an outside relative or friend that can support you thru the move? Not financially but from an emotional level? The toughest thing to do sometimes is separate from that environment for sanity sake.

My wicked foster mom was mentally abusive so I can empathize with your scenario....