Question about Alanon

Is there anyone here who attends AA meetings that is a alcoholic, but also attends Alanon meetings?

If so, why do you attend the Alanon meetings? I understand you can go to any of them but just thought if you went to understand those on the receiving end of someone being a alcoholic, it might make sense,but other than that not sure why you would go.

Thoughts?

Mme. Chaucer

I have done both.

I am a recovering addict and spent a lot of time in AA meetings. My ex husband was still using when I got clean and sober, and that is the reason I went to Al-Anon.

I had a lot of resistance to Al-Anon. My life has been plagued by blood-sucking codependency and I felt a lot of that in the meetings. Still, I went back again at the end of my marriage (when my ex had returned to using and life was getting really bad, fast) and I found a lot of support and peace there.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with alcoholics going to Al-Anon in order to get a better understanding of what it is like to be in the position of the people there, though, even if it's an open group. Al-Anon is for those people who are affected by the alcoholic, and I think they can use a break from the alcoholics. Just as I wasn't crazy about the "co's" coming to the AA or NA meetings, especially if they spoke. Just my opinion though.