Potential Relationship? Age difference? Just a nice guy and nothing more?

Looking for thoughts and opinions on this maybe potential new relationship.

I'm 26. Recently ended a 7 year relationship. Ended it because I realized we weren't in love any more and I cheated (yeah, I know...)

Guy just turned 43. Never married, no kids, has had long term relationships. Is into young/cool things. Not a ladies man, quite sensible and secure in life.

I'm not even sure if he is interested in me as more than a friend and sometimes he comments on how young I am (though we have never discussed and I don't think he knows my age.) Just offhand comments like asking if I've seen records before :o

Do you think the age difference is a big deal?

Things that make me think he may be interested:

He always answers my messages. Everytime.

We message back and forth everyday, sometimes all day. Odd hours of the night, etc.

If he is out and I know he is busy, he will send me a message to tell me what he's doing or what's going on. He messaged me everyday when he was on vacation.

He is protective of me - I sometimes work with people he knows and he always warns me or gives a heads up if necessary. He told one guy he'd better behave and be nice to me or he'd have to answer to him.

He has told me that I'm sweet and kind, and that he once left an event because I was the only person there he wanted to hang out with (I was there but had other obligations and couldn't spend time with him.)

Conversations are often fun and teasing, but never anything inappropriate (not sure if this shows interest or shows lack of interest...)

He is a really kind and sweet guy so I wonder if he is just being nice and is maybe a but lonely (he lives and sometimes works alone.) But the amount of contact we have kind of makes me think it might be more than that?

This, if it is anything, will be a very slow moving development. It is what I need and I have no doubt it is how he works.

Questions, thoughts, comments welcome.

Do you think the age difference is a big deal?

No. Your ages are the same as my last GF and I, and the current GF is a little younger, we had a lot of good times.