How can I stop being so jealous??

I am a jealous person. I feel like it gets in the way of my life and I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can help myself with this problem.

I realized that for 1 I am jealous of my boyfriend and his family. He had a wonderful childhood. No drama, his parents have been married for 30 years, he's gone on family vacations, had all kinds of friends in school and still does. He is very close to his family and everyone gets along. Growing up he never had to do any chores...all he did was have fun. And that's wonderful. I find myself feeling almost angry sometimes and I recently noticed that it's because I"m jealous. My family and youth was much different. Everything was a stuggle with my family. I didn't have the luxury of living in the same house and staying in 1 school district. I don't have a lot of friends. I did have chores. And none of this is his fault.

Not only am I jealous of him, but I feel like I'm jealous of friends. I find that if someone else has lost weight, I'm not genuinely happy for them because I wish it were me... I have friends that are engaged, buying houses, and everything like that and I'm happy but at the same time jealous. I want to be happy for these people and not feel jealous.

cribbed this from a website...

About Jealousy

Most everyone experiences a visit from jealousy, the nasty green-eyed monster, at some point in their lives - whether it's over a best friend's career success or a gorgeous person flirting with their loved one. We tend to think of jealousy as a single emotion, but it is actually a mixture of a whole bunch of feelings; it can manifest itself as sadness, hurt, anxiety, fear, loneliness, paranoia, self-doubt, anger, and even extreme rage. While we can't necessarily stop this unpleasant sentiment from dropping in from time to time, we can control how we choose to act when it hits. When it consumes our thoughts or triggers behavior that can harm relationships or another person, that's when jealousy is truly a monster. The first step in breaking free from jealousy's grip is recognizing the problem. The second is taking a deeper look at the real root of the problem: for every jealous feeling there is an emotion lurking behind that is much more significant than the jealousy itself. Jealousy is just the finger pointing at the fears that we are afraid to face. More often than not, the culprit is a feeling of low self-worth and a fear that we are not good enough to hold on to the things that matter most to us.

• Author

I completely agree with you. And I know that it comes from my lack of self esteem. I have gone to a therapist and it seems that once I was there, everything seemed ok. I'd like to see if they have workshops in my area. I think it would be a good thing for me and a great way to meet other people with similar problems that I have.