...if they cant trust, is there hope ?

duckrepair

Chatted up with a guy i met several months ago. We sort of eb & flow on conversations. He's really busy & I have been so myself. At any rate, in a recent conversation, we talked more about why we arent with our ex anymore. He was mistreated & cheated on.. Then she left him for another guy. I asked him if he was over this her, he said he was over her but cannot trust anyone, atm.

so is this saying he isnt going to trust me? or, he's just being forthright and it's in general?

What should i do? --- should i postpone in dating him? Or should I be friends for awhile and feel it out then decide? If he asks me to date, I won't know what to say... I can't just say, "Well, I already know you're not going to trust me....", that'll look as though I'm making him out to be a damaged goods.

He was mistreated & cheated on.. Then she left him for another guy.

I would be more suspicious of this. Guys always make it sound like they were the victim in their last relationship, but it's usually just a sob story to get a girl's sympathy.

I would be more suspicious of this. Guys always make it sound like they were the victim in their last relationship, but it's usually just a sob story to get a girl's sympathy.

Not always true. Dig a little deeper. Are all the ends to his other relationships sob stories too? If so then he might be more to blame then he wants to admit. If he can be objective about the ends of his relationships he might be more level-headed and worth dealing with.

If not then he probably just has the coward and victim mentality, and he's just looking for another person to be the victim of. If this is the case, don't be that person.

• Author

I will definitely have to inquire more about his past rships.

Does anyone here think he'll use this [lack of] trust excuse to try to FWB me?

I'd love to be dating him. (Failing that, I'd still love a friendship). But if we end up dating, it worries me a bit deep down that the trust thing can come back later and nip me on the bum. Though, things have been moving along quite well and showing signs of a possible future relationship. So I don't want to invest all this just to get owned up with some FWB deal.