Need to vent

I'm just so frustrated. I don't understand how someone could say a bunch of stuff about how deeply they feel for you and how much they value and need your support and want to give theirs in return and then just act completely the opposite way. My best friend (with benefits) swore up and down that when we went back to school this semester, we would keep in touch and visit each other and have whatever kind of relationship we wanted because we're "adults" now and we can handle it. Well, I guess I'm the only adult here, because I'm the one willing to give it my all and he's doing absolutely nothing. He only has two classes and yet somehow no time to devote to me whatsoever. I mean, I'm not expecting him to act like my boyfriend and I honestly don't really want him to be my boyfriend because a long distance relationship is what I had last year and I don't want one again but hello, friends are supposed to stay in touch! Especially friends with as much history as we have. I just want to give up at this point but I don't know if I can.