You let yourself get hurt

Bittersweetie

A while ago I overheard these two women discussing an argument one of them had with her BF. I didn't catch the whole thing, but the woman was saying how she said to her BF "You hurt me" and his reply was "Well you let yourself get hurt."

I don't know why, but this statement really stuck with me. I don't know what the BF did that got the woman upset, but I thought, that's kind of a bold thing for him to say to her. But then I also thought, but in a way, he's right, she did let herself get hurt, even if he was in the wrong.

Anyone have any opinions on whether what he said was overly rude, or logically true? Just wondering as food for thought.

FeelingSmall

Of course he's right. I take full responsibility for the fact that someone just stomped all over my heart. That's pretty umm... Ballsy to come out and say that though.

Mind you, I guess it would depend on what it was that he did. It's hard to really judge without knowing why she was hurt.

It's insensitive to say something like that. Maybe even arrogant.

"Yeah, I cheated on you....but you let yourself get cheated on."

How about an "I'm sorry. I don't ever want to hurt you, baby." :love:

Personally, if a guy ever said something like "You let yourself get hurt," I wouldn't give him a chance to hurt me anymore. What a nice way to duck all responsibility.

I guess if you were hurt by something someone did that could have been avoided if you had spoken up but you never did, that could make sense. Like if you were hurt that he hadn't introduced you to his parents yet, but you had never mentioned that wanting to meet his parents was important to you. Maybe he hurt you by not doing it, but you also let yourself be hurt by not saying anything.

• Author
Bittersweetie

Yeah, it is hard to look at more closely without the context. But I agree, it is pretty ballsy, I guess that's why it stuck with me...I'd never say soemthing like that. And even if it was a hurt caused by the GF not saying something, he could've said, "I'm sorry you got hurt, but I wasn't aware."