N/C for 8 weeks, and his best friend called to wish me a happy birthday

Unrequitedlove

Unrequitedlove

So, my birthday passed, and I can't deny the fact that I wanted so badly for my ex to contact me to wish me a happy birthday. I guess it's a blessing in disguise that he didn't, because then 8 weeks of NC would've went out the window.

On my birthday night, while I was out with friends drinking, I got a phone call from one of his good friends wishing me a happy birthday. I was surprised but grateful, and we spoke a little bit about the break-up. He assured me that it wasn't my fault that he left me, and even though I was left with such a lame excuse, there was more to it that not even he could justify. He told me that my ex said he missed me but had to let me go. His friend was telling me how shocked he was but said my ex was going through "stuff" in his head, and that he's really not doing anything differently now that we are not together. What made me cry though (aside from having a few too many) was that my ex mentioned to his friend that I wasn't at my best in life because I was going through a lot, and that he thinks my ex just got bored of me.

What hurts me the most is the fact that I was there for him when he wasn't at his "best", yet my issues caused him to stray. His best friend also told me he would investigate and let me know the real reason why he left, because he was vague, and he would do me the favor so that I can move on with closure I'd never get from him.