Starting over, with next to nothing.

I could use some advice on how to get on with life after a break up. I made the mistake of limiting my world to my work and my former girlfriend. I work by myself, so the isolation is terrible. Friends are married or moved away. Family is scattered about, in a world as large as this, it's sucks how alone I feel. I've been letting hope be my friend, thanks to some good advice on the 2nd chance board I am starting to become aware of it's ugly reality. I am grateful for what I do have, but that doesn't seem to last. I have heard that time heals, but it seems like I have been frozen in time.Four and a half months and it seems like yesterday. Any advice would be appreciated.

ballygowan

do you have any ties keeping you where you are? financia etc....

my housemate broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years, she just decided to travel the world, i mean she had friends here, but it i think it was definitly good for her.

she's gone for 6 months and is having the time of her life.

i dont know if i could travel on my own, some people can, maybe its an option, change your surroundings.

or is it advice on social events? meeting new people you're interested in?

• Author

I tried to change my surroundings, moved out of state. Only made it a month, I realized I was even unhappier having run away from my problems. Although coming back had it's disadvantages,I am trying to feel good about deciding to return. I need advice on meeting new people, something to do besides work. I have often heard that people get comfortable in their misery and stay trapped. I don't find it comforting at all.

Oh, to have a 'Frequently Asked Questions' thread.....

Try the following:

clubs (hobby clubs, sports clubs)

volunteering - social services, festivals, sports events, local events

classes or workshops - in anything - at university or at a local community centre

local events (get the local paper - the little neighbourhood rag - which tells you what's going on around you)

take up dancing

join a political organization

church

places where people who enjoy the same hobbies gather - trips if you like travel, bookstores if you like to read, film clubs, etc.

Bojickwoman

Do you have any hobbies that you can pursue or is there something that you always wanted to do, but found you never had the time for i.e. taking piano lessons etc? Now would be the perfect time to indulge yourself with things that you enjoy to help get your mind off your ex and it is healthy to have more in your life than just work!