Driving to remote locations to 'think'

thebig-guy

Just wondering if anyone else has done this?

I was recently dumped and really havent dealt with it well, so i drove to a local nature walk at night and stood there actually in silence thinking about everything. I felt that there were too many things blocking my thoughts in and around the house so took time to chill at this place.

Anyway it did seem to help a little, I felt like i could accept the situation more because there was no possible way of contacting the ex at that point. Maybe im loosing it a little but i will definitely consider taking time out to go somewhere so i can clear my head. The wierd thing i did find was that i was talking to myself :s. anyone else guilty of this?

I have gone to the woods before. It's peaceful. Also, whenever I travel to another city, I am reminded that the world is bigger than my town. my worries don't feel like they are pressing down on me and suffocating me. 'Getting away' to anywhere usually allows me to feel more free and breathe easier.

It's a good thing :)

I live in the inner city, but right near a bay which is surrounded by pretty parks. Walking around the bay at any time of day or night you see so many people in their cars by themselves thinking, it's oddly comforting for me to go for a slow walk around the bay and know there's a lot of us going through the same thing out there

thebig-guy,

I have a motorbike and did do this. It got to a point where i needed to just get lost. Took a big ride on highway to a forestry, ascended a massive climb to a peak, killed it n just sat there. Observed the view, had a cry, pulled my sh;t together and left.

Trip home was full clarity. Relief. Refreshed. Self-understood.

Anyone who has a bike knows the bond you create with it, just you and it as one. Not the same in a car. Plus a car could'nt have got to where i went.

The idea of losing yourself to find yourself is essentially the same though. Now i think about it, itd be great to do a big mission again.

I highly recommend owning/hiring a bike, even for a weekend.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this?

I was recently dumped and really havent dealt with it well, so i drove to a local nature walk at night and stood there actually in silence thinking about everything. I felt that there were too many things blocking my thoughts in and around the house so took time to chill at this place.

Anyway it did seem to help a little, I felt like i could accept the situation more because there was no possible way of contacting the ex at that point. Maybe im loosing it a little but i will definitely consider taking time out to go somewhere so i can clear my head. The wierd thing i did find was that i was talking to myself :s. anyone else guilty of this?

I think it's a brilliant idea, actually, and sounds very much like something I'd do. Being kind of a nature freak and all. I really need to invest in a bike these days... Anyway. My place of work is far, yet close enough to where I live where I can walk if I choose. Most of the time, I choose to walk, as I find it rather peaceful on the mornings where I wake up and don't feel so upbeat about things. It's just good to get some fresh air, period. And then I don't feel as horrible when I actually get to work -- like you said, refreshed. I'm still rather new to the area, though, so I'll have to find out if there are any nice parks nearby where I can just hang out whenever I need a place to get away, or to clear my mind.

Oh, and don't worry about talking to yourself either. It's perfectly normal. Well, I think it is anyway, because I do it sometimes. :laugh: But I don't see anything wrong with it. :)