'The Art of Seduction'

tigressA

I bought this book on my Kindle last night and it is very intriguing so far. The author, Robert Greene, has discerned nine separate seductive 'types', such as The Siren, The Dandy, The Natural, etc. While going through the book you are supposed to identify the trait(s) you have naturally. You're given tips as to how to exploit these traits, how to identify your 'victim(s)', as well as made aware of traits that are 'anti-seductive' and encouraged to rid yourself of them. It also describes highly seductive people in history (Cleopatra, Casanova, Lord Byron, Beau Brummel, Marilyn Monroe, etc...) and how they captivated not just their lovers, but the masses as well.

Basically, it is a tome intended to teach you how to make people fall in love with you, even desperately so. It isn't one that teaches you how to get laid; as per the author (paraphrased), lust is temporary, it is wild, it is self-centered. It isn't designed to last forever and once it is satisfied it dissipates. The author gives you tips on how to cast a supposedly unforgettable spell over others.

It is a very interesting read. I can't say so far with any certainty what my own seduction personality is. I don't intend to use any tips from it, as it does seem rather anti-social, particularly in describing the would-be seduced as victims and that feels sketchy. But then again, human nature is very dark at its core. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at what the book contains and advocates.

Has anyone else here heard of this book? Read it? What are your thoughts on the premise?

Oxy Moronovich

There are millions of books about relationships. They always leave you wondering which one is the best. I just follow simple rules: "Be upbeat, smile, talk to lots of women, joke--don't take myself too seriously, and keep in touch as much as possible." Screw reading a book about getting into a relationship. That seems outdated.

• Author

It's not a book on how to land a relationship--someone who wants someone to fall in love with them doesn't necessarily want a relationship with that person. It's about using traits you recognize in yourself and traits you recognize in others to prey on their weaknesses and get what you want. Namely, power. Many people here seem to view dating and relationships as a power game, so I thought this would be a good section in which to discuss this book.

The author says to avoid people who are grounded and healthy, as the techniques outlined in the book won't work on them. It's definitely for those who will do pretty much anything, ethically or otherwise, to exert power over others. And it's always easiest to obtain power over those who are weak.

TheBigQuestion
I bought this book on my Kindle last night and it is very intriguing so far. The author, Robert Greene, has discerned nine separate seductive 'types', such as The Siren, The Dandy, The Natural, etc. While going through the book you are supposed to identify the trait(s) you have naturally. You're given tips as to how to exploit these traits, how to identify your 'victim(s)', as well as made aware of traits that are 'anti-seductive' and encouraged to rid yourself of them. It also describes highly seductive people in history (Cleopatra, Casanova, Lord Byron, Beau Brummel, Marilyn Monroe, etc...) and how they captivated not just their lovers, but the masses as well.

Basically, it is a tome intended to teach you how to make people fall in love with you, even desperately so. It isn't one that teaches you how to get laid; as per the author (paraphrased), lust is temporary, it is wild, it is self-centered. It isn't designed to last forever and once it is satisfied it dissipates. The author gives you tips on how to cast a supposedly unforgettable spell over others.

It is a very interesting read. I can't say so far with any certainty what my own seduction personality is. I don't intend to use any tips from it, as it does seem rather anti-social, particularly in describing the would-be seduced as victims and that feels sketchy. But then again, human nature is very dark at its core. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at what the book contains and advocates.

Has anyone else here heard of this book? Read it? What are your thoughts on the premise?

I've read it, and it's a pretty excellent book. It's actually one of the foundational texts in the pickup artist movement, although it's far too wordy and impractical to actually be used by any PUA clientele.

It's a very fascinating look at the psychology behind attraction and "falling in love" and whatnot. Honestly, anyone who tries using it as a guidebook for seducing another would quite literally drive themselves insane. It requires an extraordinary amount of energy and patience. A few years back, I actually found the message board dedicated to the book and it had a small group of posters that basically claimed to be master seducers of both genders. Their exploits were absolutely mind boggling in their scope, so much so that it made me wonder how they managed to have a life besides seducing their targets.

One of the things that makes it fascinating (besides being a gender-neutral seduction book) is that it goes against the grain of pretty much all traditional advice out there. It tells you to meticulously plan your every move and approach. It tells you to slowly burrow yourself into the subconscious of your target. Most traditional dating advice tells you to be yourself and to be spontaneous. The Art of Seduction instead makes the claim that being spontaneous is a symptom of laziness and sloppiness.

I think the most important message of the book, however, is that it encourages people to deeply understand the person you are targeting and to literally imagine yourself as that person. Despite the fact that the Art of Seduction has some sinister overtones, I really applaud it for actively encouraging one's completely selfless immersion into his/her seducee.

TheBigQuestion

Another note about the more "religious" followers of the book. When I say that the scope of their seductions were absolutely insane, I really do mean it. There were people that wrote pages upon pages of "character maps" of the people they were seducing, highly detailed observations of their actions, habits, and tendencies, and so forth. They would then deduce from these highly detailed maps exactly how to seduce their targets, if they didn't already. And like you said, getting sex from them was never the only goal. These accounts combined with the book readily demonstrated to me that, despite what most people think and hope about themselves, even the most self-aware and emotionally healthy individuals can be counted on to react in very predictable ways. Emotional reactions are surprisingly finite, and once a person realizes this, it's actually very liberating in a way. For that reason alone, I think the book is worth reading, especially for all the "nice guys finish last" types.

• Author
Another note about the more "religious" followers of the book. When I say that the scope of their seductions were absolutely insane, I really do mean it. There were people that wrote pages upon pages of "character maps" of the people they were seducing, highly detailed observations of their actions, habits, and tendencies, and so forth. They would then deduce from these highly detailed maps exactly how to seduce their targets, if they didn't already. And like you said, getting sex from them was never the only goal. These accounts combined with the book readily demonstrated to me that, despite what most people think and hope about themselves, even the most self-aware and emotionally healthy individuals can be counted on to react in very predictable ways. Emotional reactions are surprisingly finite, and once a person realizes this, it's actually very liberating in a way. For that reason alone, I think the book is worth reading, especially for all the "nice guys finish last" types.

That those who followed the book religiously charted character maps and such isn't surprising when you consider the iconic historical figures that the author mentions. Madame de Pompadour, the legendary mistress of King Louis XV of France, constantly observed her target and was able to tell from a mere twitch of his eye what sort of mood he was in and always set herself to indulging him. She never allowed herself to appear tired or bored in his presence. The stress of having to always be 'on' for the king likely led to what has been described as her untimely death.

I really enjoy the Authors writing. I've wanted to read that book, the 48 laws of power, and art of war for a while.

Only book of his I've read is 50th law which he co authored with 50 cent. I enjoyed his writing and it really made me think. I do think a lot of what he writes is anti social and not my style. Still entertaining writer and really got me thinking!

I just read the first part of the Cleopatra story.

Woman was basically a walking theater production, with a happy ending, till she took it away.

I wonder what type I am? Odds are I'd be the anti-seducer, yay :(

TheBigQuestion
I just read the first part of the Cleopatra story.

Woman was basically a walking theater production, with a happy ending, till she took it away.

I wonder what type I am? Odds are I'd be the anti-seducer, yay :(

It's worth reading all the way through. Don't treat it as a manual on how to get a ladyfriend, but definitely read it to help you understand what it is to make a romantic emotional connection with the opposite sex.

What's the difference between the two?

Go out and get some experience living life and you'll understand the difference. Explaining things to you is like explaining colors to some one who refuses to open their eyes.

If you have to manipulate someone into loving you, they don't love you.

Agreed, and it makes me sad to see people enthusiastically talking about preying on people, and creating a false emotional connection/false sense of security for the "victim." the author recommending that you avoid healthy, grounded people - I loved that, because it reveals that they're basically shark techniques, that will only work on people who shouldn't be picked on in the first place, but that's also what makes it disheartening.

I'm just interested in how I can make myself more attractive to women.

Obviously I'm doing many things very wrong.

I'm just interested in how I can make myself more attractive to women.

Obviously I'm doing many things very wrong.

Yes worrying about how to get women and be attractive is the number one thing you do wrong. Just do, stop trying to learn something in a book.

The book is a historical look at what people do. It's meant to be entertaining and thought provoking. Not a guide to getting women.

TheBigQuestion
Yes worrying about how to get women and be attractive is the number one thing you do wrong. Just do, stop trying to learn something in a book.

The book is a historical look at what people do. It's meant to be entertaining and thought provoking. Not a guide to getting women.

It's actually intended to be both, but not really a "step by step" guide.

• Author

After reading some more today, I think I have a bead on what my seduction style(s) may be: probably a blend of 'The Natural' and 'The Coquette'. Naturals are good at evoking a sense of childhood innocence and naivete while retaining mostly adult traits; the result is quite amusing and charming. Coquettes are mysterious and blow hot and cold--they don't reveal a lot about themselves, and their moods are capricious. One day they are passionate and warm, the next cold and distant. They could also be called teases.

Wow.

After reading some more, It turns out that D the girl I always go on about, is most likely a masculine dandy. Basically a pretty girl that acts masculine that has traditionally male ideas and beliefs. For some reason not really interested in relationships. These women have men falling for them without even trying and may find male interest annoying.

The example given in the book was Lou von Salome, the woman that had broken Nietzsche's heart.

Man I wish I read this book a long time ago.

Edited by somedude81