Why? Dwell on the past, can't see the future?

Why do people dwell on the past and just remember all the good things and can't see anything good in the future. To the extent that they don't even bother to try make there life better because they feel there future holds nothing? I'm at this kinda point in my life. I know I have to lose weight, get my confidence back, self esteem, self respect back for me to have a future but yet I can't get the new life started. I fear that even if I could lose that weight etc that my life wouldn't change a bit into a better direction that I've lived my best years. I'm 29

Philosoraptor

If you're not happy with what you have now... what do you really have to lose? I was in a place at a time where I was scared to take a first step.

"People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar."

- Thich Nhat Hanh

Once I took a step I realized I could take another... and soon enough I was in a very happy place and no longer scared to try new things or move on from the past.

• Author
If you're not happy with what you have now... what do you really have to lose? I was in a place at a time where I was scared to take a first step.

"People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar."

- Thich Nhat Hanh

Once I took a step I realized I could take another... and soon enough I was in a very happy place and no longer scared to try new things or move on from the past.

Hi Philosoraptor

As usually wise words and it makes sense. What do I have to lose? Nothing. So why not try. I gotta stop making up excuses I guess and start doing and not just wait for a miracle to happen on it's own.

That quote is spot on

Thanks again for responding