Restraining Orders ... questions for those who have experience

gypsy_siren

gypsy_siren

Have any of you obtained a restraining order? I recently did against my ex and just wondered what to expect. Thanks. :o

I had obtained restraining order in Oregon and nothing was done to him any time he violated it. Why did I get one?? Cause I thought police and courts would enforce it. All places are different in how they are enforced. And that was over 10 years ago.

Good Luck

Have any of you obtained a restraining order? I recently did against my ex and just wondered what to expect. Thanks.

Ask your questions at the municipal court in which you filed for the order. There are pamphlets available, and each municipality, town, city, state, etc. have different ways of going about restraining orders.

I assume you have a TRO, which means you may be required to go to a family court to attempt to get approved finalization of the order by a judge. You will have to prove your case in court to the judge so that a RO (final restraining order) is granted.

Originally posted by Maria46

I had obtained restraining order in Oregon and nothing was done to him any time he violated it. Why did I get one?? Cause I thought police and courts would enforce it. All places are different in how they are enforced. And that was over 10 years ago.

Good Luck

YOU have to enforce a restraining order. You need to report any incidents of a breach in the binding terms of the order to the police. Enforcing ROs requires a lot of court time, but there are never any problems with enforcing restraining orders. I very much doubt that the police just did not do anything. Something else must have gone wrong, whether you did not know how to approach the situation, or something else.

I did report restraining order violation. I know to do these things as brother is police officer. After third report when my house was actually broken into I had to press charges. The police did not go pick him up the first two times.

This was years ago and am sure that now they get on these things.

• Author
gypsy_siren

I have already seen the judge and had my order signed. It is what they call a FAPA. I was given 3 copies and told to always carry one in my car and in my purse, and the other copies were sent to the Sherrif's office so they can serve the respondent. It was approved by the judge the same day I applied for it. It is now in affect, however, the other party has not been served yet.

I was given a lot of information about the way it is supposed to work, but wanted to know, more or less, if it actually works out that way.

There are no custody battles or children/divorce involved. This is an ex of mine that is threatening/stalking me.