more then a friend? or what is it exactly?

so ive know this girl for sometime, a few months, and met her at a friends party, and she got to know me afterwards because i was the only one that didnt drink ( i dont drink or anything like that) and hungout a few times, and even stayed at her apt also,even made breakfast for her a few times, and recently bought her a valentines gift to be nice. we never did anything past a hug, and were pretty open with how we felt and everything, including each other, but then after a while into knowing each other she started getting distant with me, especially after i told her how i felt about her. all she said was she is glad to know me, but just as friends, even though beforehand she was giving me definite signs of liking me more then that, and after that, i find out that shes done this before and has an interest in somebody else, which crushed me. i mean after my ex, i didnt think id find anybody else, and yet here she is, and now has no interest in me all of the sudden! after that, i told her how i felt on it, and and of her, and why. again, she says she wasnt meaning to go past friends, even though it was obvious early on that she was wanting more. now she pretty distant with me, like she doesnt really care now, so it seems anyway. i honestly am stuck here! lol its been 2 years since ive been with, or done anything, with a girl, and not good at reading people at times and a little rusty! any advice or suggestions?

IMO, it looks like you were filler material, though from her perspective she likely felt you were trying to sneak in the 'friend' door. That's how it goes.

If she was really your friend, she'd work to resolve or clarify the friendship instead of/before becoming 'distant'.

One thing is clear. She liked that you liked her, at least until it wasn't convenient anymore. That's not uncommon IME. For some people, it's a relationship style; for others, a psychological issue.

Advice? Sexualize early. Leave no ambiguity about the contact being 'friendly'. It's not. It's romantic. Don't be spending nights at people's houses and cooking them breakfast unless there's a solid mutual romantic connection going on. Don't lament 'only getting a hug'. Be proactive and affectionate, sexually, not in a platonic way. If there is not acceptance, then that is the path. Spend your valuable life energy on someone else or, better yet, yourself.