Friends, or something more?

I'm 20. Just over a year ago, I met this guy through my university course. He's 26. I found him quite attractive, but was too shy to speak to him. We spoke a couple of times at uni, but the relationship remained very basic.

In the middle of last year, he asked me if I wanted to be part of a comedy society he was running. He was also in a few of my classes that semester, and through our shared classes and working together in the society I got to know him a lot better and grew to like him more as a person. He's still a bit immature in some ways, but is thoughtful, considerate and passionate and shares a lot of my interests.

As I've gotten to know him better, I've sort of got the feeling that he's interested in me too. I often catch him watching me, and when he meets my eyes he smiles. He often makes observations about my character, and he usually ends up being right. He's shown that he respects me as a person and as a friend. He's been to my home and met my family, and I've met most of his family too. A couple of times he's talked about me being attractive.

Even though I get the feeling that he's interested, I still doubt myself on these suspicions. He's quite likeable and popular, and a part of me still convinces myself that he couldn't possibly be interested in me - I'm tend to be quiet and shy most of the time.

I want him to know how I feel, but I'm scared of risking the friendship or scaring him away - plus I'm quite shy and awkward and don't want to make a mess of things.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice as to what I can do? Should I tell him how I feel, and if so - how? Or should I just remain friends?