Used to like me - messed up, what are my chances?

Hello, in the past year I have slowly rebuilt myself after being in an abusive relationship with someone whom I did care very deeply for, and have recently felt comfortable flirting and dating again. I'll run you down a little bit, as after talking and chatting with a girl - one who surprisingly at 18 (the same age as me) has never had a relationship before. I did get with another girl when she still liked me, unfortunately, and I found out only recently that this annoyed her quite heavily. Upon getting with this other girl, I realised my apparent attraction to controlling and abusive women, so I ended it before it got out of hand. I did tell this girl that I still liked her, and after telling me she still liked me we did talk, met up, and I kissed her on our first date. Since this I feel we've drifted apart quite a lot, and haven't talked as much recently. The workload is obviously quite immense at this point, and I hope this is it. However, she has seemed terse, less willing to converse and hasn't responded to my text that I sent today, the first time this has happened. I do plan on straight-out asking her whether I've blown my chance, but is there any advice you could give that would help me get with this lovely lady? I feel I have been ignoring genuinely lovely people like her, and I'm unsure why. I despise being manipulated and controlled, and I know I wouldn't get that here