Does she want me or am I being played?

There's this girl I've known for a year now and we've become very close. I've come to feel feelings of, well, love even though I've tried to look at her simply as a friend because of the fear of rejection. But the heart wants what the heart wants and I ended up telling her how I felt. I was euphoric when she told me she like me too and over many phone conversations we discussed the possibility of taking things to the next level... but that's only part of the time. One day she'll tell me how she really likes me and wants to date but just needs to take care of a few things in her life before she can make that step. Then the next day she'll say she just wants to be my friend and nothing more, no reasoning, that's all I get.

The other day we had an argument and it's been going on since then and interfering with our friendship. She contacted me after work inviting me over so we could work things out and move on. She says she isn't home at the moment but will let me know when she is. I wait, and wait, and wait so I finally call her and some dude picks up telling me not to call back. She said it was just a joke but I failed to see the humor. :(

What do you people make of this?