Is this holiday crush hopeless?

Hello hello

A few weeks ago I was on a holiday with a group of friends on a Greek island. I’ve been there many times before and I know a lot of people that work in the hotel. So as soon as I arrived, I went to say hello to some of them, also this guy that works in the restaurant and that I know for three years now. When I walked into the restaurant he was working and he was on the phone and as soon as he saw me, he ended his phonecall and he smiled, gave me a big hug and many kisses on my cheek. Obviously he didn’t bother about the other guests and the other staffmembers, and he seemed very happy to see me again.

The whole 2-weeks of my holiday we’ve been talking and flirting all the time when I was in the restaurant. He was always working, as he is the main waiter, but still he gave me a lot of ‘personal’ attention, everyone in my group noticed that there was this ‘thing’ going on between us. He asked me personal questions, he was teasing me and laughing a lot, and, when I passed him, he often touched my arm or my back and we had a lot of eyecontact. He was doing extra things for me and after a few days he asked me if I wanted to go out to the beach with him and some friends on his day off. Unfortunately, due to rain and ‘unforeseen circumstances’ this date was cancelled. On the day I was supposed to go out with him (his day off), I met him outside the hotel in his car, and he said he had been looking for me, but I wasn't around all morning as I went out with some friends.

During the 2 weeks I was there, I saw him ‘coincidentally’ outside the restaurant in places, where I normally didn’t see him and he was always drawing my attention. Once, when my group came into the restaurant, he pointed at my friends and said ‘I like you’ and ‘I like you’, but pointing at me he said ‘I don’t like you’ with a big smile. I know he was just joking, but later he came to me, a bit apart from the crowd, he took my hand into his hands, and he apologized for what he said before and he said he didn’t mean it of course. Another time he told me that to me he was talking like himself and to the other guests he was talking professionally. He is a few years younger than me (in his thirties), but for me that doesn’t matter.

On the day before I would go home, he asked me if I was going to cry when we would say goodbye. I answered with the question if he would cry, as I remembered that last year when we said goodbye, he was a bit emotional then. I would leave on his day off, so I suggested to say goodbye on the night before. He asked me what time we would leave, and he said he would come to the hotel on his day off to say goodbye to me. So that night, when we left the restaurant, he said ‘See you tomorrow’, so I was very sad and disappointed when he didn’t show up the next morning. Some people of my group said to me ‘I told you so’, but I’m still not convinced that he isn’t fond of me or doesn’t like me. I still think there is a reason why he didn’t turn up that morning. He knows that I’m coming back in a few months, so I hope that we’ll have a good talk then. Maybe he thought I was just joking around all the time, as I’m very open, informal and friendly with all the people in the hotel and in my group. I will be honest about my feelings for him then, as I really like the guy, can't get him out off my mind and I’m almost sure that there is ‘something’ more between us. I have to find out, as now it all feels ‘unfinnished’, not having said goodbye to him and how I feel about him.

Edited by Hello hello