I'm just so lost

Hey everyone.

I'm 18 years old and I recently had a best friend who was a freshman she's 15(I was a senior). Well you know I've always been her best guy friend and I've always helped her and I've always been there for her. Well about a week ago we both fell for each other, but only to find out her parents won't let us date. You know I expected this so I kinda jus tried to move on. Well I couldn't and I would catch myself up at 5 in the morning thinking of this girl. Mean while she has recently though bee'n with her ex b/f was a great Idea which is fine but jus tonight she told me she wants to be with me and she likes me more than him, I don't know how to tell her that she's leading me on. Because honestly its hurtin me really bad. I can't eat, sleep , or do anything I jus think of her. please help me.

Why were her parents okay with her having such a close friendship with an older guy? Weren't they concerned it would turn into a romantic relationship? Have you talked with them about their concerns?

-- uriel

• Author

No I've never tried to really talk to them, because I guess her dad doesn't like the Idea at all. That beeing said I jus don't understand why I can't date her? I know I'm older but they also know what I am like and know I'd never hurt her? I do respect there decision but I just wish I had a chance with this girl....... What do I do to atleast jus move on and be best friends and to meet other girls?

LoOkInG 4 HiM

i know the feeeling, cept im the 16 year old girl.... in ur position.... i cant really give u any advice..... but u gotta tell her this ... and if she says she feels for you, then hows is that leading you on, she said she wanted to be with u. its true bout her parents but if she feels for you she cant help that, she might just have to comprimise, it uve been able to be friends with her then dispite her parents im sure u can have a relationship with her

• Author

well she tells me she likes me but she also likes someone else (in this case her ex-b/f.). so its leading me on in a way to like she doesn't want me to move on but she is moving on? its weird to explain but any how I'm still excellent friends with her and everything but sometimes I jus think she wants to maybe keep herself in the picture with me

Originally posted by kellydontwanttasleep

chill out untill she turns 16 thats the legal age in Ohio

What??? I thought it was 18 regardless. I must be out of touch or old or something lol

Parents of girls generally don't want older boys to date them because older boys tend to be more sexually experienced. Parents believe that their daughters are more likely to be encouraged into more advanced sexual experimentation because of this. I'm afraid that's what I saw myself when I was younger, so I have to agree that's a well-founded fear.

-- uriel

DerangedAngel
chill out untill she turns 16 thats the legal age in Ohio

In the United States, you cannot be 18 or older and be intimate with anyone under the age of 18. If you are 18 or older, your partners must be 18 or older as well. Many people have been misinformed. Under 18? Having sex with a minor? Get caught and find yourself registering with Megan's Law.

See faux's posts on the thread below and/or research it yourself. :bunny:

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t36239

-Deranged

You're not quite right, DerangedAngle. Here's a definition from WordIQ:

Age of consent

In criminal law, the age of consent is the age at which a person is considered to be capable of legally giving informed consent to sexual acts with another person. Thus somebody engaging in sex with someone below the age of consent commits a crime, called child sexual abuse. Under many jurisdictions, this is regardless of his or her own age, but in some locations, if the age difference is within a certain range, a less serious (or no) crime occurs.

The age of consent should not be confused with the age of majority or age of criminal responsibility, and some jurisdictions, the marriageable age differs from the age of consent.

The age of consent varies widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, though most jurisdictions in the world today have an age of consent between 14 to 18 years, but ages as young as 12 and as old as 21 also occur, with some countries in the Middle East holding female ages of consent in the single-digit range. http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Age_of_consent

Here's a sexual answer site for teens that gives ages of consent by state (Ohio is 16): http://www.coolnurse.com/consent.htm

-- uriel

DerangedAngel

I stand by my original post and am currently trying to find a really great article I read about this a while back (should have bookmarked it). :)

Many people have gone by the age of consent websites and still gotten in serious trouble, as it can vary by counties (I think even cities) as well. After reading a few posts on LS, I was curious enough to call a few attorneys and each one told me the same thing that one of our members, faux, has continuously posted about. Your best bet is to keep it at 18+. I had always believed differently, but I was confusing the age of consent with the definition of a minor.

Many states don't even have such a thing as an "age of consent" listed in any kind of a legal document.

-Deranged

Sorry -- I still differ with you. Here is the law directly from the Ohio Revised Code, which effectively makes the age of consent 16 and sets aside especially serious penalties for sex with a minor under the age of 13:

"§ 2907.04. Unlawful sexual conduct with minor.

(A) No person who is eighteen years of age or older shall engage in sexual conduct with another, who is not the spouse of the offender, when the offender knows the other person is thirteen years of age or older but less than sixteen years of age, or the offender is reckless in that regard.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in divisions (B)(2), (3), and (4) of this section, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a felony of the fourth degree.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in division (B)(4) of this section, if the offender is less than four years older than the other person, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in division (B)(4) of this section, if the offender is ten or more years older than the other person, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a felony of the third degree.

(4) If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of section 2907.02, 2907.03, or 2907.04 of the Revised Code or a violation of former section 2907.12 of the Revised Code, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a felony of the second degree. "

source: http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

HISTORY: 134 v H 511 (Eff 1-1-74); 143 v H 44 (Eff 7-24-90); 146 v S 2 (Eff 7-1-96); 148 v H 442. Eff 10-17-2000."

-- uriel