love my best friend?

So I met my best friend about a year ago at an orientation. From the first day that we met we were instantly friends, we spent all of a time together. As the school year progressed we got closer, he'd spend nights at my house and things like that. He knows how weird I am, how awkward I am and he still likes me for it. I feel comfortable telling him anything and he just seems like an extension of myself. In a month or so I'm flying to spend a week with him.

Anyway, at the time that we met I had a boyfriend, so nothing happened. I broke up with my boyfriend about a month later. He had recently broken up with a girlfriend of a long time, and it was bad. He's still scarred by that relationship, saying that he hates girls and that he doesn't want to be in a relationship again. Over time I developed feelings for him, but I'm not sure if they're reciprocated. I would never mention anything now because of his current state, but in the future I might like to. I, and all of our mutual friends think we'd be great together, and I could really see something happening.

If I were to do it in the far future, how should I go about it? How could I tell if he has feelings back?