Dating vs FWB? Difference?

I was married for 10yrs, and now newly divorced. I dated exclusively my now exhusband 6 yrs prior to marrying him.

So, as you can see, I am really new to the "being single" scene.

Please help me decipher. What is the difference in dating someone new and fwb. I understand sex can be involved in both situations. But, when dating someone new...you can't expect to be completely exclusive, nor committed to calling. And while dating someone new, sex is something that may occur. And this goes for FWB as well. I am confused!:o

I "think" I have been involved as FWB up until lately...but I will save that for another post.

The difference is that with FWB, one of the two people involved is inherently not interested in being in a committed relationship with the other. That should not be the case with dating.

• Author

Thank you for your responses...

I guess I am being told to "get out there and date" or "date" around. So I would assume that wouldn't be committed to one person?

Do you go on first date... wait a few weeks...maybe go out again. Should you remain committed during the two week period at first?

I just don't know.

I have been seeing this guy, who has bought me dinner, gone to a movie, etc...and we have had sex...we see each other every couple of weeks. Yet, he says he doesn't want a relationship right now. And now I recently found out there is another woman in the pic occasionally...So is the dating and getting to know other women that could turn into more? Do I have the right to say...it's only me and no one else after 4months of seeing each other every couple of weeks? I am beginning to care about him...:(

Both are the same. However I think there are people that you meet and soon realize would make good FWB. Then there are other people that you meet that would make great life partners. FWB can be almost anyone. Potential life partners however are rare. You wouldn't want to be exclusive to just anyone. It's important that the two people dating be on the same page early in the dating experience so not to create false hopes.

sweetheart5381
Both are the same. However I think there are people that you meet and soon realize would make good FWB. Then there are other people that you meet that would make great life partners. FWB can be almost anyone. Potential life partners however are rare. You wouldn't want to be exclusive to just anyone. It's important that the two people dating be on the same page early in the dating experience so not to create false hopes.

I agree.. I think it takes time for 2 people to get to know one another and sexuality is a huge part of compatibility. Sex is the driving force that attracts you to someone in the first place. You may have sex with someone and it just isn't good enough to last the test of time, the deep level of communication and responsiveness is just not there to sustain a long-term relationship. It may be fun, but it isn't that mind-blowing sort of sex that comes with real compatibility and 'being on the same page'. This is what I consider FWB.

I don't think too many folks just go looking for FWB, however sometimes that's all it can really be because it is missing something.

I personally have learned that it is best not to rush anything, I would rather take the time to enjoy one another, prolong the enjoyment, flirt and be playful and hold off on any commitment til we both know that we have what it takes to actually become exclusive and make it last. Maturity and communication is key to ensure feelings aren't hurt.