"No matter what happens, lets stay friends"

Here is what my girlfriend told me:

"Were going off to college soon (the same one) and no matter what happens, if we break up or stay together, promise me well always be friends". At first I thought "awww im so special to her that she never wants me out of her life, even if were no longer together."

The more I thought about it though, the more confused I got. Now im starting to think shes saying this because she doesnt want me to be angry if she breaks up with me. Hypothetically, what if I cheated on her? (I never would) Would she still want to be friends then? Now it seems like that statement is in her best interests and for her protection. I dont know if I could be friends with her even if we ever broke up. I love her so much, if I ever saw her dating another guy, I dont know if I could stand it.

Am I over analyzing? Was she saying it with good intentions? Did she mean that she cares about me a lot? Or is it something else?

The 'let's just be friends' in a relationship if given by a girl is for her sake.

Is for her to feel good and not bad for dumping you.

It is also [in this situation] for you to not ruin her reputation should she party/slutty it up after she dumps you.

You will get dumped pretty soon, she wants to sow her wild oats.

• Author

Well shes religious so she condemns the whole party scene in general as well as sexual activity before marriage. However, if it applies to starting like other guys, then that could be a possibly. Like, shes trying to avoid being the victim in case she starts liking (but not cheating) someone else. If that makes any sense...

Well shes religious so she condemns the whole party scene in general as well as sexual activity before marriage. However, if it applies to starting like other guys, then that could be a possibly. Like, shes trying to avoid being the victim in case she starts liking (but not cheating) someone else. If that makes any sense...

Oh no she's religious, so are all of the clergymen that preached about the sins of homosexuality right before and after raping their alter boys.

Most people stop being religious once they get away from their congregation, aka go to college.