My guy friend thinks I like him but I don't?

My guy friend and I used to have a crush on each other for 5 months ago. After hanging out for 2 times and slept over in his house once ( no sex), he thought that we were not compatible and he opened up to me that he wanted to be friend with me. He explained that he was interested in me but we were different. ( He is American but I am Japanese and I have to go back to Japan in 3 years) For me his explanation was very weak but I respected his decision even I was in love with him badly.

However, we still went out together for movies and dinner almost every week. Then he introduced me to meet his new girlfriend and I was very happy for him even I am still like him. We still hangout together as usual.

I had to go to England for work for 3 weeks and he gave his email address. I emailed him 3 times he never replied. I thought I lost him.

Once I got back and had a chance to meet him again. He told me that he had got a new girlfriend. ( I was a bit sad even though I thought I got over him after I knew that he went out on a date with my close friend but they were not in a relationship ) I tried to act normal with him. We went out drinking as a group and got tipsy. Then I went to his house and we had sex. I didn't regret. I felt relieved because his skill was really weak, it made me feel like he had nothing to offer me. We talked it through as we wanted to maintain our friendship. I was cool with it.

2 days after he texted me to hangout with him, we met and talked. Everything was normal.

One week later, we went out again as a group and he brought his girlfriend. ( I didn't understand his intention) I tried to avoid him. Then I talked to other friends. But when we hangout we usually stuck around together. But that night I rarely talked to him.

But!!!! the bad thing was we usually went out once a week as a group not just only 2 of us like before and he kept telling other friends in our group that I liked him. He also told them that I had sex with him and I tried to take advantage on him and used him. He said that I was seeking chances to meet him. He also told his girlfriend that I liked him.

Now I feel like a stupid person. I dont know what to do. I don't understand his real intention. Can anyone give me advice? To be honest I think I like him a bit more than friend ( I am not sure) but I don't want a relationship from him. I just enjoy his company.

After I heard that he talked bad about me, I felt that he was not a gentleman at all. Should I talk to him or just be quiet and try to show him that I think of him as a friend?