I Hate

Annie

When people say they hate to tell you something, then proceed to tell you anyway, do they really hate to tell you or inform you?

I've heard people use this term, then lower a boom on someone. It doesn't seem as if they are really cushioning their words, but, is this a feeble attempt at doing so?

In this sense, people use the word "hate" interchangably with "reluctance." They want you to know that they are extremely reluctant to have to tell you something but they just can't keep it inside. They would prefer not to have to tell you. Yes, it is a cushion of sorts.

People don't really enjoy breaking up with another person. Actually, they pretty much hate it. People don't really enjoy delivering bad news of anykind...and, for me, I can absolutely say I hate to do so. People want to separate themselves from the bad news they have to deliver so others won't be upset with the messenger.

And it is with great reluctance that I tell you that if you don't now understand this concept, your computer will self-destruct in ten seconds.