Abuse in Homes

AlexC

I don't mean homes as in 'This is your home' I mean 'Old people's home' or 'Care home for the mentally disabled', that sort of thing

Abuse in these places sickens me, and I just need to make people more aware, and have a little rant about it myself

Imagine this.

There's a man, 32, with the mental disability - his brain is 4 years old. Lets call him Brian. He likes hugging, playing and watching TV. It's time for one of his favourite games. Boxing. He likes boxing. His carer punches him repeatedly. 'Boxing' he calls it. Brian doesn't like this game. It hurts him, and he's scared. Only, he can't say that. So, instead, he says 'Ding ding' to stop the game. It doesn't stop.

Brian is vulnerable and helpless against his so called 'Carer'. No one will listen to him because of his disability. Who is going to listen to a mental person over a carer?

Imagine this.

You are working in an old people's home. You look outside the window. You see a nurse drag a helpless, confused old lady up the garden, who is screeching and terrified.

This happens.

This is real.

These people need help.

WE need to help them.

That is terrible. Listen, I'm assuming you know this "Brian." Here is what I think. Since this is a home, I think you should at least start with a domestic violence hotline to get some information on who you can talk to about this. They may be able to help you directly or refer you to someone who can.

Keep us posted.

Here is some info:

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800) 799-7233 or (800) 787-3224 (TTY for hearing disabled)

* English and Spanish help available 24/7; access to translators in 139 different languages

* Crisis intervention, information about domestic violence and referrals to local service providers to victims of domestic violence and those calling on their behalf

http://www.ndvh.org/

Source: Immediate help for victims of domestic abuse in the United States

Edited by CopingGal