The Patch

Does anyone have experience with quitting smoking (or attempting to) using a patch? I have one on now, I have never quit smoking before and this is my first attempt. It's weird. I want a cig (its 8pm here, my last was 10pm last night) and have wanted quite a few today, but it it feels like the craving is not that intense. The weird thing is, I bought a pack of cigs on my way home from work today, just in case I wanted to smoke?! But I haven't yet. I really want to quit smoking.......I smoke ~1/2 pack/day (I guess a bit more...basically 2 packs lasts 3 days, perhaps into the 4th)

I have a friend who said she tried it and it didn't work. I read that the "relapse" rate is the same as any other method (cold turkey, gums, pills), but I am not really worried about that right now. I feel pretty confident that if I can quit for X amount of time, I won't start again (not sure what X is yet...though from what I read, I am to use this patch system for 10 weeks based on the amt I am used to smoking). Luckily I don't have friends or family that smoke, so I am not around it much at all. My ex smoked, but keyword ex so he is not a concern either. no one I work with smokes. I think that will help.

I just don't want to fail because I'm afraid if I do I won't try again. I should prob get rid of that pack I bought after work today, I know you aren't supposed to smoke while the patch is on so I don't think I will tonight, I guess I just want to know the option is there? I don't know.

Curious as to others experiences.

I gave up some years back, after several failed attempts throughout my twenties and early thirties (that would never last for more than a few weeks). During some of the failed attempts I tried the Nicorette chewing gum, but disliked it. I never tried the patch. For me, part of the smoking thing was the oral element to it.

When I stopped it was with the lozenges. For some reason they really worked, but I didn't stop using them completely until I'd stopped for about 18 months. Any time I felt stressed or as though I could do with a cigarette for some other reason (eg after a meal) I'd have a lozenge. I even had them with a glass of wine, which made friends say "yuk...don't they ruin the taste?" Maybe, but the point was that I used them every time I'd have otherwise had a cigarette.

Whenever any of the people I know who still smoke reached for a cigarette, I'd reach for a lozenge. I'd even stand outside with the smokers, having my lozenge while they smoked....and though sometimes a smoker would offer me a cigarette I never felt the urge. For me, it wasn't just the nicotine. There were other sort of ritual/habitual aspects to smoking that I missed....which was probably why I never thought about using the patch.

I think your mindset is also incredibly important. When I had the failed attempts, I was focused on how long I could go without a cigarette for...and I wasn't 100% committed to being a non smoker. Best to approach it in terms of "I'm now a non smoker" rather than a smoker who is trying to give up. Hypnotherapy CDs might be helpful too. I didn't use them, because my determination to stop was so strong that I didn't feel I needed to....but I've used hypnotherapy for destressing before and it's been very good.

Just stop. The physical addictive effects of nicotine are small. It's the psychological factor you have to overcome. Don't use patches, don't use anything.

• 1 month later...

The patches are just a tool- They make it easier but won't do it for you. The success rates are as follows: 3% cold turkey, 10% gum, patches, lozenges, 20% chantix or wellbutrin/zyban, 20% counselling/support programs.

I work in addiction, specifically alcohol and tobacco so I can help with some general guidelines. Remember, not everything works for every body so these are by no means hard and fast rules.

There is both a physical and mental aspect of the addiction. For some people it can be more one than the other, but it is normally pretty evenly matched. The physical addiction has some pretty gnarly withdrawl symptoms so using an NRT (nicotine replacement therapy) product can really help with that. Research shows that nicotine impacts the brain the same way drugs like heroin or cocain do, so physical addiction and withdrawl are real with tobacco.

Identifying your habits and routines that are related to smoking can give you a big head start. What are your triggers? Common triggers: when you wake up; after eating; after sex; when you go to the bathroom; driving; boredom; stress/anxiety; depression. Yours could be all, none or one of those.

Come up with good options to deal with the triggers. We talk about the 4 Ds with our patients- Delay, Distract, Drink Water, Deep Breathing.

Delay: Wait 10 minutes before you smoke (don't make this too big of a time frame, set the bar low and work your way up).

Distract: Stay busy, find alternatives (gum, carrots, toothpicks), keep your hands busy (puzzles, crafts, exercise, etc)- Basically, get your mind off the cigarette.

Drinking water: it helps with hand to mouth, but also flushes out the yuck- tar, chemicals, nicotine. Some people report that if they drink plenty of water (8-10 glasses a day, or more if you normally drink that much) can help reduce the duration or severity of their withdrawl symptons.

Deep breathing: Defininetly the dark horse. Deep breathing can be anything from just measured breathes in and out to actually meditation or yoga style breathing. The reason it works is, you are breathing in and out in a manner SIMILAR to how you would when you smoke, so it sort of tricks your brain into saying, "Gosh, I recognize this" and it will ease up a little bit.

Now, none of these are cure alls- one might work, one might not, and it could depend on any given situation on if it works or not. Also, one thing I tell my patients a the time- Just because it doesn't work the first time does not mean it won't work the 4th time. but if it hasn't worked by the 10th time, try something else.

Websites like www.quitnet.com can be useful tools. Depending on your state in the US or your country in the EU, you may be able to get a counseling program that can be very helpful. You can also try Nicotine Anonymous - A 12 Step Program offering support to those who want to stop all forms of tobacco and nicotine addiction. Formerly smokers anonymous.. My counselling program has a success rate of 20% BY IT SELF. People who do counselling AND NRT tend to be much more successful. If you are in the states, call 1-800-784-8669 and see what your state offers. Chances are, it's free.

Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

The patch is a total fallacy.

The end goal of quitting smoking is actually breaking your addiction to nicotine. The patch is the same thing with a different delivery system. So is the gum, and all that other "stop smoking" stuff. You cannot fix the problem with the problem. Your brain is addicted to nicotine, above anything else this is the thing that make sure you keep smoking. On patches or whatever it just prolongs your withdrawal, to where you will probably just go back to smoking when the patch fails you, and your tar addled mind will further justify going back to cancer sticks.

Just go cold turkey and don't look back. Tell your friends and family, they will understand if you are irritated for a few days and will likely applaud and support your effort as mine did.

The toughest part is minding that your brain will absolutely try to trick you into justifying buying another pack. You will find yourself in an argument with your suddenly nicotineless mind, it begging you to feed it a cigarette.

The psychological factors are actually worse to me than the physical symptoms as those pass over a relatively short time. I found even watching TV shows or movies where people are smoking (Boardwalk Empire is going to be realllllly tough) my hand was practically going ghost to grab my car keys to go to the store. All of my friends smoke, so there is that issue as well.

It is just willpower, I quit 5 days ago, you can too if you really want to. At any rate, all those miracle quit cures are way more expensive than cigarettes.

I keep in mind despite what my brain is trying to get me to justify, quitting is freedom. Quitting is not having to stop by the store every day. Quitting is money in my pocket I'm not spending to slowly kill myself in front of my family and friends. Quitting gives me back control of my own body. Quitting means I can work out and not feel awful anymore. Quitting is my future reborn. Quitting is never panicking when out of smokes. Not coughing up black stuff in the morning. No more wheezing up the stairs. No more smelly clothes. No more judgement from non-smokers on the street. The list goes on and on...

I just finally found my core reason to quit, and that was it is a roadblock to my future success I can no longer live with.

Plus being broke helped a lot too :laugh: But was not my main motivation to deliberately put myself through a few days of hell. When you quit, just know it will pass, and everything you are feeling is temporary for a few days. Even when your brain makes you think you will die without a cigarette, just wait.

Edited by redleader
  • 1 month later...

I quit for 20 years with the two mg. gum - back when it was by perscription only. The trick is that you must get thru the first eight days and transfer your addition to the "better" and "more satisfying" addition which is the gum. You also must have as much gum as you need. The gum eventually becomes more satisfying than the cigs because the "pure nicotine" goes directly into your system through the mucus membranes of the inside of your mouth. Back then, I stayed addicted to six pieces of the gum for two years. Then a doctor weened me off it in a couple weeks.

Now, they have the 4mg gum. You know why I know that? Because during my four year separation and divorce, I started smoking again. Now, I will tell you this 4 mg. gum really gives you a buzz. As little as you smoke - I would stay with the 2 mg. - it worked fine for me, and my old smoking habit was like yours.

I have already been thru this with the patch. It is a good method to the ween off the gum, in my opinion. But, this is the opinion of a nicotine addict. And when the ultimate stress came - I broke down. Target's gum has an interesting flavor. Good luck, honey.