Breaking up and Violence

Someone please help. Me and my ex had a very bad breakup and were trying to work it out again. I was still talking to guys on the phone, and he was still talking to girls on the phone, although he did not know that I knew. The other night he went through my phone and got mad b/c he saw that a guy who i cheated on him with called me several nights ago. He shoved me from behind, took my phone and threw it about 100 yrds across the street and broke it. Then I slapped his face very hard. Did I have a right to slap him? Could I get in trouble even though he shoved me first? I know we are both at fault, but can I get in trouble, b/c I am a girl and he pushed me first?

Well a shove, I suppose, could be physical assault but you took it to another level.

Although that whole, "because I'm a girl" thing is REALLY lame. That's so not an excuse. He shouldn't have shoved you, but you shouldn't have slapped him, regardless of you being a chick.

Regardless, DAMN, you guys have a messed up relationship. Or used to.

The only way you could potentially get in trouble is if he pressed charges, in which case he'd also have to answer to making the first act of violence, and destroying your property.