jail bird

I was doing a story for the school newspaper on jails and prisons when a friend of mine who worked at a women’s correctional ward said I could come to see what it was like and take some pictures. The day I was there, a bus full of new inmates came in and my friend said I had to see the intake process. They had made these women strip of all their cloths and stand in line to wait their turn for a doctor check, shower and new prison cloths. They were totally naked with their hands strapped together behind their back looking quite scared. While I was looking at this line, I saw in line a girl I once knew from high school. I was very shocked to see her there and wanted to talk with her. I asked her what happened and she told me how her boyfriend had convinced her to deliver some drugs for her. I listened to her story and started feeling real bad for her. I promised her I’d see what I could do to get her out, but afterwards my friend told me rule number one is not to get involved with a jail bird. He said it’s very easy to get enchanted by the beauty of an inmate, but they are can be trouble. I wonder if I should try to help her or take my friend’s advice.

Not only is what this lady was accused of doing illegal, but she admitted to it. Delivering illicit drugs is a very serious crime and one that has to be punished. Millions of people's lives and that of their families, friends, etc. are destroyed every year because of the use of heroin, cocaine, LSD, and all the other variety of street drugs.

And who are you to intervene in the justice system, possibly get yourself investigated, for someone you hardly know? And, if you did get her out, she probably wouldn't be very grateful and would end up back in jail soon as well.

When you see someone getting their just due, stay out of it. When you see that justice has not been done or someone has been wronged, then do everything in your power to straighten it out.

In this case, jailtime may be the very thing this girl needs to get straightened out. Besides, the story you heard from her and felt bad about was probably not accurate. To get hard time, you have to be more than just periferally involved. I promise you she did NOT give you the whole story. Go read the court records or talk to the prosecutor.

Don't be such a sucker for a pretty face!!!

my friend told me rule number one is not to get involved with a jail bird. He said it's very easy to get enchanted by the beauty of an inmate, but they are can be trouble. I wonder if I should try to help her or take my friend's advice.

How do you think it got to be rule number one?

Probably guys like you getting taken in by a pretty face.

This is trouble waiting to happen.

Forget about it.

Unless you are one of those people who need to rescue others and that is a big turn-on for you, a relationship with someone in jail cannot be very fulfilling. It is too one-sided. What can she contribute to your life except the sense that you are rescuing her.

Recently I saw a documentary on prisons in which not one person either on death row for murder or behind bars for other crimes, admitted that they did it. It was always someone else's fault, they were doing something for a friend, or they just plain did not commit the crime. According to them the entire jail was filled with people who were not to blame.

So be careful with the facts in this case and find out if it is really true that she was doing this for her boyfriend, before you get your heart involved.

How do you think it got to be rule number one? Probably guys like you getting taken in by a pretty face. This is trouble waiting to happen. Forget about it.
Recently I saw a documentary on prisons in which not one person either on death row for murder or behind bars for other crimes, admitted that they did it.

I have a comment on this...My finace is currently in jail and he admitted that he did what he did. (not a serious crime) I know a couple people that have been in jail and admit that they did something wrong to end themselves up there. My finace for the past couple days that he has been in there is constantly appologizing for making me go through this. He thinks I am going to find someone else and so on and so on.

So not all people that are in jail cannot admit that they did wrong.